35

Ava →

We had a new psychology teacher. She was a thin woman with glasses and she wore a floral-print dress with wedges. Her name was Ms. Hurst and just the mere sight of her made me miss David even more.

And poor Ava; she was whining about how she never should have repeated this class. I couldn't help but laugh at her.

"Bye-bye mini orgasms. It was fun while it lasted," she murmured. I chuckled once again, trying to keep my voice down low.

"You can still drop the class, you know. I think the deadline's next week," I informed.

She sighed. "Nah, it's cool. I'll stay for you. This is the only class I have with you and passing it will only improve my GPA." She brushed her fingers through her long, blonde hair. "I still can't believe Dr. Larsen isn't teaching us. I wonder if it had something to do with that hospital ordeal." She looked at me and I shrugged, not answering her.

I typed down some notes into my laptop before Ava asked to hang out with me after class. Honestly, what I really wanted was to see David considering I didn't have much time left with him. Nonetheless, I agreed to go eat with her at one of the dining halls.

We'd gotten a plate of food and drinks then found a booth near the window to sit down. "Is there something you wanted to talk about?" I queried.

"Two things, actually." She squinted her blue eyes and pursed her lips. "You never told me about Nash and Lucas."

I bit my lip and put my fork down. "Ah, great. This topic again."

"I'm sorry to bring it up. It's just that I didn't find out until last week from Nash and I wanted to know if you're okay."

I glanced out the window, shaking my head. "Ava, I'm fine. Whatever they did isn't any of my business, and it doesn't bother me."

"To be honest, I saw it coming."

My eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "Saw what coming?"

"Nash liked you when school first started. He told me to keep it a secret and that he'd tell you himself. But then it seemed like you had no clue how he felt so I didn't say anything because I wanted to keep his secret. I really really thought that you'd change him."

"Change him?" I repeated. "What's there to change exactly? Do I really not know my own roommate?" I took a few sips of my drink.

"Casper, he's used to being a heartthrob. God, I wish you knew him in high school. I was pretty much the only girl who didn't fall at his feet which is why we're good friends, but he does have his flaws. He's gorgeous and he knows it."

"Okay. Can we go back to whatever you saw coming? You didn't quite cover it."

"The same thing Trey said. He knew Nash would screw something up. So did I."

"Well. Contrary to popular belief, Nash didn't do screw up anything. You already know I'm with David, so there's no point lying about it. I really can't be bothered with anyone else." I picked up two hot french fries and stuck them inside of my mouth. "Mm, these are good." I nodded in approval, pointing at the fries.

"Wow, you really don't give a shit." She seemed surprised. "I thought you were heartbroken or something."

"At first, yeah. Then I got over it."

"I can see why. You're on first-name basis with our ex professor and you two are a thing. You're lucky."

I placed my chin in my hand as another sad reminder of his condition hit me right in the face. "Right. Can we talk about something else for a change?"