Late Night Starlight Conversations

Despite the blazing intensity behind the question, I could only feel the calm steady beat of Dick's heart in his chest as I rested upon it as we lay on the soft shrubbery.

I think intently on what my answer should be, but my brain kept coming up blank with an adequate enough answer to satisfy him...

Deciding to follow the path of least resistance, I decided to focus on a distraction instead.

"How are you so calm when asking that?" I never said anything about the distraction not being a lame one. A distraction is a distraction.

Dick just slightly huffs at my clear attempt to change the subject but plays along anyway.

"Let's just say, after seeing you inhale a live grenade. I've come to realize that maybe I should approach you more softly because clearly your head isn't on straight and you leap for the most chaotic option when available to you."

"Well...you're not wrong." I slightly giggle as I bury my face further into his chest.

I feel him freeze a bit at my actions, and I stifle back a disappointed sound from rising up the back of my throat.

I start to make a motion to pull away from him but I feel his arms tighten around me, locking me in place.

I tilt my head up at him, making eye contact through my lashes and fighting back the urge to blush because he was staring down at me with the entire night's sky illuminating his face and providing a stunning backdrop with the stars stretching far beyond eternity.

He really was stunning.

"Can we just...stay like this a little longer?" Dick says.

I feel the grip he has around my waist grow warmer and warmer, and my palms on his chest grow unbelievably hot...or was that just me!?

"S-sure." I meekly let out as I lay back down on his chest.

Mine grew incredibly tight as I was on the verge of passing out.

I'm pretty sure for Dick, this was a nothing burger, as they say.

He probably just wanted to calm down from the high of the dangerous situation I just forced him into, and he needed a moment to catch his breath.

For me on the other hand, I'm being trusted into the deep end of a situation I'm trying so hard to avoid.

He knows I like him.

I'd bet being tattoo inked by liquid kryptonite that he does!

So then why does he constantly put me in these situations to fall even harder for him???

It's like he has no intention of dating me, but can't stand the idea of me falling for someone else.

I squirmed at the idea I violently sat up straight, away from him.

Close friends or not, I had to start setting hard rigid boundaries between the both of us because I can't keep getting swept up by his magic spell.

No matter how much I wanted to.

I'm beginning to have other options now.

"The day that you and the gang came to the apartment to apologize for what happened, I got a text from an unknown number." I begin to speak, not looking at Dick sitting next to me but feeling him adjust his sitting posture to listen to me more intently.

"Go on," Was all he said to muster me forward.

I lick my dry lips to moisten them and continue to speak.