Sent To Backup Nightwing

In my covert night-time superhero gear, I stealthy fly towards the side of the huge Star Labs building located in Central City.

I fly up to an air duct and pull off its access panel, flying in and putting back the panel in its original position like I'd never been there.

I fly-crawl through the air duct, mentally flowing the map that I'd been previously shown of where Nightwing was hidden and I had to go to extract him.

Urgh! Extract...that sounds so nasty!...in a good way ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I shake my head. FOCUS, Kara, FOCUS!

You NEED to, as the earth people say, slay on this mission! Just imagine how surprised Batman would be and how impressed Nightwing will be once they see you succeed on this mission with flying colours!?

I'll rub this in Bats face for YEARS and I'll get praise for a job well-done by Dick!!!

I fought back my sound of delighted glee as I came to the end of an air duct passage and tried to come up on my knees and kneel before it.

I take a deep breath and aim my laser beams at the spot, cutting through the aluminum metal and creating a shape between a square and a circle hole in the wall.

I wonder if Nightwing even knows that I was his backup? I think to myself as I eased back the misshapen object I cut out in the wall and slip into the storage closet of the room I was told Nightwing was hiding in.

I bet he's going to be so thrilled and happy to see me-

I got cut off when I hear an angry voice say, "When is this back up of yours going to GET here Bruce!?"

Bruce? Who's Bruce?

I reach forward to tap him on his shoulder when, "Seriously, what kind of rookie did you SEND me? I've been waiting for hours-" he then turns around, sees me, and cuts himself off.

"Urgh! You!? You sent her!?" Then he instantly freezes up, as if realizing what he'd just said out loud.

"Ah...nevermind" he turned his communicator off and stiff stands while staring at me.

I take a deep calming breath and assess the situation. I need to be level-headed and complete my mission, regardless of if Nightwing was a part of that mission or not.

My goal is to extract the operative, and I intended to do just that, despite whether or not my heart was breaking into a million pieces.

I put on a big forced smile, I wanted him to know it was forced, and stick my hand out to him.

"Hi! I'm the rookie that was sent out to help you!" I grit out through clenched teeth.

"Ka-uh, SG, I-"

"Ssh!" I cut him off. "No time for that, I need to find a way to get you out.

For him to actually fumble with my names, it must mean he was feeling quite fluttered right now, but that didn't stop the fact that I had a job to complete and I wasn't going to let anything distract me.

I scan my surroundings immediately. Nightwing had heavy canisters and computer drives all loaded onto his body, it must be the information he was able to gather before the mole decided to double-cross him.

So that explains why he couldn't fit through the air ducts and escape through that means...

How do I get him out without either of us being seen?

I look up at the ceiling but decided not to go through that route because there were three floors of solid concrete and I could harm innocent bystanders and cause severe structural damage.

I look back down to Nightwing and ask, "How sensitive is the information you're carrying?"

"Very." he answers, "Both in terms of information and physical structure. We can't mishandle these or they could fall apart."

"So that takes superspeed out of the equation" I mumble to myself. "Even the canisters?"

"Especially the canisters!" he warned. "Wrong move with these babies and kiss Central City goodbye..."

I blink at him, then look down at the contents he was carrying with concern.

I open my mouth to ask what the hell he was carrying but change my mind. "I don't even wanna know," I wave it off.

I cross my legs and sit down on the floor in a lotus position as I tried to think, my red cap flapping about behind me.

With a defeated sigh I look up at Nightwing and say, "We have no choice but to go through the front door."

He did a double-take, "Are you mental!?"

I purse my lips at him, pushed myself up off the floor and stand directly in front of him. He had a couple inches on me which I found SO sexy right now, but I fought the urge to swoon.

Exercising all of my self will I lift my right hand up and cup his cheek and glared directly into his mask covered eyes.

"Do you trust me?" I demanded more than asked.

"Huh-?"

"Do. You. Trust. Me." I say again, more aggressive this time.

I see this eyeball dance behind his mask as he stares intently at me, with a dejected sigh his shoulders sag and he smirks at me.

"Of course I do, Aladdin." He says.

I smile widely at him and let go of his face before I unconsciously start feeling it up.

"Then follow my lead!" I say with as much hope and enthusiasm I could muster. "Because I will get you out of here, I promise you!!"