Chapter 12: Dancing

"Yeah. Let's do this."

Despite David being away from Summerland, he seemed to fit in with the X-Men quite well. And it all worked out in the end because they kept in touch with the other mutants too.

Cary, being one of them had constructed a sensory deprivation tank to help David through his travels in the astral plane before Charles had come to him. He felt that it would help for David to have that, so he'd given instructions to the two for them to follow so with the X-Men's help, they could build one for themselves at the mansion.

Meanwhile, the next morning came to the boys when the light shone through the windows even with the curtains.

Tommy woke up, looking over at his brother and his friend and smiling. Yeah, the madness wasn't over yet, but it was getting closer to being alright.

Oliver was sleeping soundless next to Billy, who'd comforted him the night before after a bad dream about Larry. And it really did seem like they were closer together now, like a family. This was starting to feel like home, a safe place for them.

Today, Billy and Tommy were finally going to school. She was a bit hesitant at first, but with David around now, Wanda didn't want him to be distracted with the boys' homeschooling. And of course it would be more fun for them as well. Today, they were focusing on themselves.

Wanda waved to the children as Sarah took them to school that day. She was glad they were going to finally get a good education, she just hoped they'd be ok adjusting. But knowing her boys, they'd do great. She needed to worry about herself.

The mother turned to David as the kids drove away. "You sure you can do this?"

"I'm positive. Farouk has been with me my whole life, he's gonna take the bait. But we need to be careful about it. Remember, he can project illusions. So if we start there, we can find ways to block him in the astral plane."

"Yes, but you'll need training on your powers." Charles said, wheeling up from behind them. "Once you understand them better, you will be ready to face him."

David sighed. "Dad, you gotta stop sneaking up on me. You know I can sense you."

"Yes, I'm testing your reflexes." Xavier chuckled. "Come. Let's see what you can do."
___________________________________________

Billy and Tommy entered the school with Oliver.

"School. This is it." Tommy said giddily.

"You're actually excited about school? I thought you'd be bored and not want to go."

"Well, I don't wanna be cooped up at home, and I think it'd be nice to make some new friends for once."

Billy grinned. "Yeah, me too."

Fortunately, the kids had the same first class as their friend. Oliver gestured for them to come into math class. It was kind of a bummer to have it first thing, but also a relief because the rest of the day they didn't have to deal with it.

The teacher seemed nice enough, Mr. Calarco. But Billy sensed someone else familiar in the room. Byron.

The boy's eyes went wide as he tapped Tommy. But Oliver turned to the boys, writing down on a piece of paper.

Byron is a friend now

"Ohh, that's right." Tommy realized.

To prove his point, Oliver motioned for Byron to come over for a second. The boy noticed them and walked over.

"Hey. I'm sorry for making fun of you guys. And Oliver. I only made fun of him because I thought he didn't want to be my friend and it made me feel better about myself. I was a bully. But we're ok now..... You wanna be friends?" He had a sort of nervous look in his eyes, and Billy saw that it was because of their powers. He was intimidated.