Chapter 29

O B S I D I A N

---

Obsidian hadn't noticed until now, but Stomiidae was incredibly talented at staying calm under pressure.

Ever since Obsidian helped Piranha, Tetra, and Emerald escape, dragons in the jungle became more hostile, and heightened security made it impossible to find another way for the others to escape as well. And even though Emerald and Tetra were the most important dragons that he had captured, Stomiidae didn't seem to be too bothered by their disappearance.

"He probably has a backup plan then." Ravencaller murmured as the pair sat away from the clearing near the edge of the village. Since their numbers were increasing, it was getting more difficult to have private conversations, but Ravencaller was good at finding ways to make it work. When they found this new spot, Obsidian had told him he helped the dragonets escape a couple days ago, and Ravencaller had praised him for it, making him feel another weird, fuzzy feeling in his chest.

They were now discussing the reason behind Stomiidae's actions. He wasn't sure what exactly happened, but Ravencaller said that Stomiidae had gone to the prison huts to mock the prisoners. "I also heard a rumor he's trying to find a way to get to Pyrrhia while maintaining control here." the Nightwing added at the end of his explanation. "He seems confident in whatever his backup plan could be."

"But why does he want to go to Pyrrhia now?" Obsidian wondered out loud. It was frustrating that he couldn't figure out Stomiidae's logic.

Ravencaller shrugged and shook his head. "Maybe he got something from Tetra before she escaped. Didn't he visit her quite often while she was here?"

Obsidian thought back in time, then wrinkled his nose at the realization. Perhaps he was negotiating with her, but had the upper hand since she was a prisoner.

"Oops, speak of the devil." Ravencaller flicked his ear making Obsidian turn around, and saw that the infamous Deepwing was making his way over to them.

"Greetings, friends!" Stomiidae said cheerfully. The dragonets immediately fell into the roles of loyal subjects, and bowed. "Greetings, King Stomiidae." they said together.

Stomiidae's grin turned into a smirk at their submission. "Obsidian, may I speak with you for a moment?"

Obsidian's blood turned cold at the request, but he kept his face neutral as he nodded and followed Stomiidae to another end of the clearing.

"Thank you for your time." Stomiidae said once they were alone. "I was just wondering if you still had the First Circle medal I gave you?"

Internally Obsidian's heart broke as he reached into his neck pouch and pulled out the medal. The key to saving my mother. I hope he doesn't want it back.

But Stomiidae smiled and clapped his talons. "Excellent! Since you have it I was wanting to ask if you enjoyed going to the Ice Kingdom."

Obsidian's mind flashed back to the snowy mountains, the bitter cold, the glorious sunsets and woefully nodded. "I did."

"Great! Then I think you'll like this next favor I have for you." The Deepwing stood next to Obsidian and wrapped his wing around him, and it took all of Obsidian's effort not to gag. Stomiidae's "favors" were just orders in disguise. I also wish he would stop touching me. Only one dragon gets to touch me. Ever.

"I would like you to go back to the Ice Kingdom to gather intel about their way of life." Stomiidae continued without much preamble. "Then every few days you would come back here and report what you know to either me or my assistant."