Chapter 7

L O C U S T

---

Angel came into their hut a few minutes after the sun peeked over the horizon. Locust, understandably upset by having to wake up early, nearly bit her ear off when she whispered to him it was time to wake up, but Angel wasn't offended.

Fern was already packing up their things, as well as eating the breakfast fruit that Angel prepared in advance. He was eventually able to drag Locust out of his cot and stuff a banana in his mouth, which woke him up slightly more. He walked out of the hut with Angel, forcing Locust to get up and get moving. Locust stretched his sore wings and sluggishly followed them out onto the shore.

"I made sure to give you some energizing mangoes so you won't get too tired on your journey to the next islands," Angel said, peeking inside the saddlebags Fern was carrying to make sure they had everything. "You don't need to go to Swordfish island, since Pufferfish is only a few hours after, so you'll get there quicker. Just set up camp by the shore and you should be safe."

Fern smiled sheepishly as she strapped the bags tighter to his waist, and Locust finally reached the shoreline. Angel nodded to him. "Troutfish has residents that I know, so they'll help you get settled in." she finished giving instructions, the suddenly slapped her forehead. "Oh I almost forgot!" she ran to the larger hut and shuffling was heard, followed by a "Clam spit!" exclamation. The two friends looked at each other puzzled, though a few minutes after Angel rushed back to the dragonets carrying two shell bracelets, one mainly being red, the other being blue.

"I made these for you guys last night!" she said, slightly out of breath but beaming. She handed Locust the red one, and Fern the blue one. Fern immediately thanked her put his on and began to admire it, though Locust paused and narrowed his eyes. Something doesn't seem right.

He felt Fern slap his tail lightly on his wings as Locust hesitated. "Be polite," he hissed to him, and he inwardly groaned as he slipped on the bracelet. It fit perfectly, and sparkled against the morning sunlight. Not bad.

Then all at once his exhaustion disappeared, and he felt an overwhelming urge to get off this island and get to Pantala immediatley. He had to get to Pantala now. He couldn't wait there anymore. He had to find the Leafwing and save everyone. That is his mission. He had to get out of there now!

He began to pant as he spread his wings, and without waiting or saying goodbye, took off into the direction of the next island. Fern called to him, but he ignored it. He had to get there. He couldn't wait even a second.

Eventually he heard wingbeats behind him as Fern caught up. Locust didn't actually get very far by himself. Fern didn't say anything as he flew next to him, slightly disappointed but slightly glad for Locust's change of attitude about the mission.

They both flew right over Swordfish island, Locust ignoring it entirely, and a few hours later arrived at Pufferfish island. Locust however, didn't actually stop at the island. He kept flying.

Deciding to be more assertive, Fern sped up and stopped to hover right in front of Locust.

"Hey!" Locust growled, trying to get past Fern, but failing. "We have to get to Pantala!"

"I know," Fern panted, out of breath since he had to try and catch up to Locust so many times. "But we have to rest now. You don't want to fall out of the sky and drown in the ocean do you?"

Locust bared his teeth, but decided that Fern was right. If he never got to Pantala... what would happen to the world?

Finally nodding to Fern, and turned around and floated to the shore, Fern landing shortly after him. He pulled out a blanket from one of the saddlebags and laid it out on the sand. He collapsed on the blanket, exhausted.