Chapter 26

G E O D E | O B S I D I A N

---

Obsidian felt like his entire life was a lie.

No she can't be my mother.

Father said that she was dead. She was murdered.

She left us, then she was killed. She should have been.

But she looks just like me! She knows my name, my face.

She's right in front of me.

The two dragons stood there for a few long moments, and Obsidian finally found himself able to speak. "Why did you leave us?"

"The queen forced me to," Coldgaze said, exasperated. "It's punishment for falling in love with your father."

Obsidian blinked, now even more confused. "But... Owl said you left us because you didn't love us..."

Suddenly, Coldgaze's face twisted into a furious expression, making Obsidian shrink back a bit. "All icewings are rotten liars! How dare he?" she screamed. "First I find out they accused me of stealing the bracelet that the queen gave to be herself, then your father says I'm a heartless mother?" Obsidian didn't say anything, just simply squeaked in sudden fear.

The nightwing seethed in rage, but quickly came to her senses as she realized she was scaring Obsidian. She took a deep breath, and faced him again. "After the queen found out we were in love, she forced your father to leave the ice kingdom. We decided that Possibility would be the best place to have you, since I laid an egg during this time.

"After you hatched it turns out that the queen followed us to Possibility, and kidnapped me. She told me I was to live in the ice kingdom without you or Owl, as punishment for taking away one of the most high ranking icewings." she paused. "I wouldn't have been able to survive without the bracelet, since it protects me from the cold, and the Gift of Protection. But it turns out she wanted me dead after all."

Obsidian lowered his weapon as she finished, and everything started to make sense now. "How do you know my name? How did you know it was me?" he asked, looking down to see his icewing talons.

"I think I would know the name of my own son. I'm the one who suggested the name Obsidian." Coldgaze said, smiling slightly. "And when you hatched, you had this incredible scowl on your face, just like your father."

Obsidian put his talon on his face, blushing. Do we really look that similar, even when I'm not in my normal form?

"Now it's my turn to ask questions," his mother interjected, before Obsidian could say anything. "What are you doing here?"

The dragonet thought for a long time, and the more he thought, the more guilty he started to feel. He grabbed the first circle medal in his talons and began fidgeting, looking down. "T-this medal was enchanted by a bad dragon... Stomiidae... I've wanted to be an icewing my whole life and he enchanted this for me... as long as I helped him..."

"Helped him with what?" Coldgaze gently asked, coming closer to Obsidian.

"H-help him take over territory for the deepwings..." he answered, not being able to bring himself to look at her.

"Did you want to do this?" she asked him, taking one of his talons on her own.

Obsidian let her, feeling comforted by her touch. "No, I just wanted to be an icewing but... I met someone else who said he could help me get what I wanted." he couldn't help himself from shaking as he continued. "But I left him when I got the medal..."