Chapter 23

G E O D E

---

The cold.

Obsidian- no, Geode had never felt true cold before in his life. It was bitter, sharp, yet soft to the touch.

Once he had stepped outside with his icicle spear for target practice, he breathed in deeply, almost making himself cough, but he relished in the ice cold air like it was the best thing he had ever breathed. He opened his eyes to the mountainous, snowy landscape just past the target range. It was sunny out today, so the snow was blindingly bright, but he loved it. This truly is where I belong.

Geode has arrived at the ice kingdom only a couple days ago, but he fit right in. He hadn't made any friends yet, but his teacher, General Avalanche, had praised his spear and arrow skills significantly for the other class to notice. He was popular with the ladies as well (even though he prefers males), which pleased him.

He made his way to his spearing post, which was close to the end of the target range, and began his warmups. Only after a few minutes General Avalanche walked up to him and nodded.

"Good morning, Geode. I have a request for you," the general began, making Geode pause in surprise. "Me?"

The general rolled his eyes and nodded again. "Yes. Since your post is close by, I thought it would be appropriate." He pointed his long talons behind Geode, and made him turn around to notice a slightly hidden cave behind a snow bank. "I want you to keep an eye on that cave, there have been reports of activity there. We may believe that is the culprit of the stolen protection bracelet."

Geode let out a low growl from the mention of the bracelet. Supposedly one of the protection bracelets that protected visitors from the ice wall was stolen about 6 years ago. The bracelets are essential for protecting visitors from not only the wall, but from the cold as well. Without the bracelet the ice kingdom can't do as many trade deals with outsiders. Geode faced the general again and saluted. "You have my word, General."

"Good. Investigate if you see anything." The General said and returned the salute, and went to go and assess the other students. Geode turned his attention back to the cave and narrowed his eyes. "You won't get away this time." He mumbled, and continued his practice.

---

Geode shot his final arrow at the target for the day as General Avalanche blew the dismissal whistle. He sighed. Another productive day. Fantastic. He thought as he went to go pick up his arrows. Though he frowned. All day he hadn't noticed any activity coming from the cave. Is this a test? Am I failing?

He picked up his last arrow and glanced at the cave again, and dropped the arrow in shock. A dragon! He gasped as the mystery dragon disappeared from behind the snow bank and into the cave. He bared his teeth and picked up his bow and arrows. You can't escape me! He took flight and shot himself quickly into the cave.

Once he was completely inside, and sniffed. A strong, dragon scent wafted from the distance, and he narrowed his eyes. "Come out and face me!" He snarled, reading an arrow. "You better have a good explanation for stealing the bracelet."

"Oh? They said I stole the bracelet?" A female voice sneered from in the shadows. "Of course they would say that. They really want me dead after all."

"S-show yourself!" He demanded again, though he started to become unsure as the seconds went by.

"Cut the act, Obsidian. You seriously would shoot me if I refused?" She mused, though Geode froze, dropping his bow.

"How... who... what..." he stuttered.

"I honestly thought I would never see you again, but I know it's you. I'd recognize that scowl anywhere." She continued, though her voice was softer this time. He heard footsteps come closer, and through the sunset light that peeked through the cave, he could make out her dark blue and black nightwing scales. She wore a cloak, and her eyes glittered as if she was under some kind of spell. He glanced at her talons, and she was wearing the pretty protection bracelet.

"Who are you?" he finally asked, shocked beyond belief.

"My name is Coldgaze," she said, looking at him straight in the eyes. "And I am your mother."