Chapter 22

L O C U S T

---

Locust's legs were about to give out, but he had to keep going this time. He couldn't give up, especially since the deepwings were right behind him.

He had no idea how long he was running for. His wings hadn't grown in yet, but it's not like that would matter, considering he was going to be a terrible flyer anyway.

Locust dared to look over his shoulder, and the wave of red eyed, evil deepwings was almost upon him. He faced forward and skidded to a halt, right in front of Commander Orchid.

"Go without me!" she ordered, throwing spears at the pursuing deepwings.

"No!" Locust yelled back, and kicked his hind legs into what he assumed was a deepwing snout. "I'm not leaving you this time!"

Suddenly Locust was thrown from his position, as Orchid's talons raked into his shoulders and shoved him away towards what seemed to be an exit. He tumbled onto the ground, and popped his head up to see Commander Orchid get stabbed brutally in the heart again, and fall to the ground.

---

After sobbing in his nightmare, Locust groggily opened his eyes to wingbeats above him. Once his vision focused he noticed all of the rainwings meeting up in the middle of the camp, surrounding Piranha, who was flashing his scale colors to call them over. Fern and Emerald were sitting next to him, and Emerald purred and patted Locust on the head as he slowly sat up. "What's going on?" he asked, still a little drowsy.

"Piranha called a tribe meeting," Fern explained as the final rainwings met up in a slightly jagged circle. "I overheard a bit of conversation, and apparently they're going to vote for a new commander."

Locust nodded as Cobia joined them on the sidelines, sighing with pride. "I'm glad they found a solution, I felt bad that I couldn't help out with that."

Seems like a weird way of doing things. It's not like we don't have elections in Possibility, but they're a lot more organized than this. Locust thought as Piranha cleared his throat and began to speak.

"I know you all are distressed over the heroic death of Commander Orchid, but as a tribe, I know that she would want us to move on." he started, choking up a bit. "In order to do that we need to select a new Commander, and the best way to do that right now is to put it to a vote." he paused, letting his words sink in. The camp was silent with anticipation. The young rainwing took a deep breath and nodded. "Now, if you feel like you would be the best Commander for our tribe, step forward."

For a long moment, no one moved. A few rainwings turned their heads to look at each other, as if they were willing someone else to step forward, but even so the camp was still silent. Piranha's scales started to turn green, and Locust remembered from one of his lectures that green meant anxiety or fear. Please someone step forward! Locust willed. Even though part of him ultimately didn't care about the tribe, he didn't want Piranha to feel bad, or be forced into the position.

Finally, out from behind Piranha, his sister Night stepped forward, her head high, her wings elegantly spread out, and her eyes focused. The way she presented herself took Locust's breath away.

He hadn't actually paid much attention to Night until now. Since starting this journey Locust has felt himself become more aware with the things around him, including absolutely gorgeous dragons.

Locust snapped back into focus as some rainwings began murmuring and gasping in awe and surprise. She stood next to Piranha, who was also looking at her in shock, and waited for a few more moments to see if anyone else would step forward.