Chapter 24

P I R A N H A

---

Piranha woke up bright and early the next morning, feeling extremely hungry for revenge. You can't take away my home, Tetra, and my Commander without facing the consequences. He thought while gritting his teeth as he made his way to the dragonets' tent and opened the entrance. "Rise and shine, guys. It's time to go!"

Emerald was asleep then awake with a start, and she beamed brightly at Piranha. Fern was a little slower waking up, but he returned the same enthusiasm with a salute. Cobia yawned and rubbed her eyes, though she nodded and returned the smile. The only one who didn't stir was Locust, and he covered his face with his talons and groaned. Piranha scowled at him. Why did he volunteer if he doesn't even want to go? He thought, though he took it back as Locust reluctantly sat up and stretched. "How are we going to get there?" he asked.

"I think the Summer Palace Stone would be quickest," Fern said, quickly brushing Locust's mane neatly (the dragonet seems to get a serious bedhead). Cobia shrugged.

"Probably, but it might be swarming with deepwings looking for us." she said, digging into her pouch, making sure she had all of the supplies.

"I wouldn't mind getting my claws deep in a deepwing's neck right about now." Locust growled, digging his talons into his bedding. Fern patted him on the back, nodding.

"We will not have time to fight, but I think we can go through Summer Palace and get there quickly." Emerald said, taking a bite of a banana. "We have to be smart."

"I have plenty of sleep darts and deadly darts we can use to sneak in," Piranha said, digging into his pouch and showing them to the group. "I can ask Night if we can borrow some."

"Good idea, I'll come with you." Fern said, and left Locust to accompany Piranha. The two dragonets versed from the tent and headed to the nurse tent, though Piranha paused before they got there. "Fern, can I ask you something?"

Fern cocked his head to the side, but nodded. "For sure. What's up?"

"Why are you so nice to Locust?" Piranha blurted, though he clenched his teeth with embarrassment. He hadn't meant it to come out so forced, but he was genuinely curious. "It's just that during these past you days you seem to be taking care of him, like he's only a year old. And he's kind of a... um..." he slowed, trying to find a less hurtful word than "jerk".

Fern laughed, catching Piranha off guard. "I know, he is kind of a goat butt isn't he?" he said, smiling. "It's complicated, but let's just say he's my best friend, and he took care of me when we were younger. Why not return the favor?"

Piranha started laughing too, except more with relief. Fern is pretty smart, so I doubt he would subject himself to Locust without a good reason. "I understand."

Fern nodded and turned towards the nurse hut. "Don't worry about it, he's told me plenty of times in private how much he appreciates me." he paused, then genuinely looked worried for a second. "Don't tell him I said that, he'd maul me!"

The group finished the last of their preparations and said goodbye to the tribe. Night wished them luck personally, and gave Piranha extra tips on how to be a good leader. He saluted to her, and lifted off into the air as the group followed, and they were off to the Summer Palace.

It was only half a day's flight before the Palace skyline was in sight. Though Piranha slowed to a stationary position as he noticed dragon silhouettes surrounding the area. He flicked his tail and dropped down into the marshy forest below, and the group followed. His talons squished into the mud, and he realized they were in the Mud Kingdom.