Chapter 20

O B S I D I A N

---

Obsidian didn't expect to arrive at the deepwing palace in chaos, but it was pretty easy to expect that Stomiidae was already there.

The three friends made their way through the flood of running dragons. Cobia had a look on her face, and she looked like she knew what to do. Obsidian followed her to avoid being trampled, and Ravencaller was close behind.

Eventually the three stopped by a hallway that was eerily silent. Cobia scanned the floor, and both Obsidian and Ravencaller looked on curiously. She stopped in front of several pebbles on the ground, and sighed with relief.

"Quick, hold one of these!" She whispered, and shoved two pebbles into their talons. Obsidian held it and nothing happened, though Cobia looked excited.

"Tetra enchanted these pebbles to hide from Deepwings. Since I'm one of those, I can't see you now." She explained, and picked up a pebble for herself.

"How do you know this?" Ravencaller asked, looking at his pebble with interest.

"Tetra enchanted a rock so when it's swallowed, I can receive messages from her telepathically." Cobia said simply, and scanned the room. "I just wish she told me exactly where they took her."

"She was captured again?" Obsidian wondered out loud. What was she doing?

"She sacrificed her safety to help the Pantalan rainwings escape." She mentioned, and now Obsidian was more confused.

Ravencaller turned stiff beside him, making Obsidian turn around and notice a dragon's body, gray and completely still, in a pool of semi-dry blood. Cobia noticed it too, and walked softly towards it. He wasn't sure why, but Obsidian followed, and soon Ravencaller did the same.

It was a large rainwing, who had a frozen face of surprise and terror in her lifeless green eyes. There was a hole through her back and into her chest, and a spear not too far away. Her mouth was still open in a silent scream.

"This must be the Commander," Cobia whispered, her eyes filling with tears. "Tetra mentioned a dragon didn't make it."

"T-they just left her here?" Ravencaller croaked, which was surprising. Obsidian had never seen him lose his cool composure.

"Stomiidae will send someone to get her body, or enchant it to make it disappear," Cobia said.

Obsidian was horrified by her face, so much so he wordlessly walked up to it and gently closed her eyes and mouth. Despite her cause of death, she looked peaceful. That's a little better. He thought. At least she can be at peace now, knowing the rest of her tribe is safe.

"What do we do now?" Ravencaller asked eventually, breaking the moment of silence. Cobia took a deep breath and straightened herself. "I need to get to Pyhrria, and you guys have a choice on where you want to go now." She said, and turned to the door with the teleportation stone. She struggled a bit to open it, but eventually got past the barrier that was blocking it. The rainwings must have done that to escape. Smart.

Ravencaller looked thoughtful. "I think it'll be dangerous no matter where we go," he said, furrowing his eyebrows. "But I'll follow you Obsidian, since I'm here to help you after all."

Obsidian felt himself blush furiously, so he turned away hoping Ravencaller didn't notice. Then he sighed. I really don't want to go back to the jungle, or to Stomiidae, but he'll find a way to get to me eventually. He paused, looking up at the ceiling. Plus now that Tetra's with him, maybe I can convince her or him to turn me into an icewing.