Chapter 30

P I R A N H A

Piranha, Tetra and Emerald trekked through the jungle for what seemed like years. They couldn't fly through despite being experienced with flight in the jungle, since Tetra's injuries were infected throughout her body. However Piranha himself was feeling optimistic. Now that we have Tetra instead of Stomiidae keeping her prisoner, we're almost ready to start shaping a plan.

Emerald also had a pep in her step as she guided them through the jungle back to her village. "We're about a day's walk away! We should stop for now."

"I agree," Tetra sighed, sitting down as soon as the group stopped walking. All four of her legs had some form of scratch or burn, and Piranha thought they must be extremely sore. He reached into his neck pouch and dug through, realizing he was out of healing poultice. I wish there was some aloe around here.

"I think there might be some over there," Tetra responded to his thoughts, which still startled him even though he's known her for a while now. "Sorry." she added quickly, ducking her head in embarrassment.

Piranha just smiled and wrapped a wing around her and pulled her close. "It's okay. I don't have anything to hide from you anyways."

Tetra's cheek scales lit up as she leaned into Piranha. "I see." she said bashfully. "Well I don't really try to read your mind... your thoughts are just... loud."

The rainwing laughed suddenly. "I guess you're right about that."

The two just sat in silence for a while, Piranha enjoying her warmth and feeling on top of the world. But Tetra remained tense, especially in her shoulders, which made Piranha figure something was wrong.

"Nothing is wrong- well- nothing new I suppose." Tetra answered the question for him, trying to force herself to relax.

"But something is on your mind." Piranha leaned back to look her in the eyes. "Unfortunately I can't read minds, so you'll have to tell me."

Tetra swallowed and looked away, conflicted. "I... I can't."

Piranha started to panic when tears began to well in her eyes. "You can tell me anything!"

"But... there are futures where you won't love me anymore if I tell you." She wiped an eye, but it was futile as tears continued to fall. "Besides... it won't change what has already happened."

"There's nothing you can say that will make me love you any less." Piranha turned her face towards him. "Please. You need to get it off your chest."

Tetra blinked, and continued to study him for a few more moments, perhaps looking into futures to see what the best option would be. She probably has to do this all the time. No wonder she's exhausted.

Eventually, she blew out a big sigh of defeat. "Very well... the reason I didn't want you and Emerald to rescue me from the camp was because... I don't deserve it."

Piranha's eyes widened. "Of course you deserved it! You were a prisoner!" He immediately jumped to her defense. "What could make you think you deserved to rot there?"

"Because I'm no longer useful to you!" Tetra suddenly raised her voice in despair. "I... I no longer have my magic."

Piranha felt his mind start to whirl. How could you lose your magic? I thought it stays with you for life!

"Stomiidae made me enchant a sugar cube that he forced me to transfer my magic onto, so whoever eats it will become animus." Tetra slumped over and started to cry harder. "My magic is no longer inside of me, and now Stomiidae has the ultimate weapon... but at least he can't use it on himself."