Chapter 4

L O C U S T

---

Flying was one of Locust's least favorite things to do. He much preferred running, since he's had much more practice with it and it took less energy. 

Ever since his wings grew last year after his metamorphosis (since he is part Silkwing), he could never get the hang of flying. His mother, a Sandwing named Okapi, couldn't teach him because she only had two wings. Locust had four, fragile but bulky wings that he never liked flying with. And his flying instructors were strict and had extreme over expectations, so it was a recipe for disaster.

"Why can't we just take the Summer Palace Stone?" Locust whined when the dragonets were discussing the plan. Cobia had just rolled her eyes.

"It's too dangerous. Stomii knows about your journey, and he'll know you'll take the easiest route. You have to island hop."

Fern was fine with this news. He liked flying, and his huge wings (and also the fact he only had two) made it easy for him. He agreed to carry both of their saddlebags filled with food and a few scrolls. One of the scrolls was a map of the island hopping route, which had been redone over generations of studying. Clearsight's original map was unclear, so it took hundreds of explorations to get it exact. The other scroll was titled "Pantala 101", and showed which plants and animals were dangerous, and which ones were okay to eat.

So there they were, heading toward the first island. Locust sometimes began to fall from exhaustion, and Fern had to help lift him back up. Flying across the ocean was annoying, since the wind was so strong and hard to maneuver through, especially with four wings. So sometimes he would be knocked severely off course.

"Cheer up, Loki," Fern said, picking Locust up for the fifth time. "We're almost to the first island!"

Locust's hope brightened a small bit. "Oh yeah?"

 "Yup! Just a few more hours to go." Fern smiled, and Locust's hope died out again.

He let out a groan in dramatized agony, and started to fall towards the water for a sixth time.

-----

The sun had just dipped past the ocean line, as the first island came into view. Locust noticed it and began to flap his wings clumsily, forcing Fern to catch up just in case he got into danger. When they finally reached the island, Locust collapsed onto the sand, his nose filling up with rocks and sand. He sneezed as Fern landed next to him. He helped Locust up, and jumped at a dragon flying towards them.

As she neared them, her appearance began to show. She was an iridescent Seawing/Rainwing hybrid, and her scales kept switching subtlety to green and blue. Her wings and fins switched from pink to yellow, and her entire body sparkled like stars in the night sky. She stopped in front of them and smiled brightly.