Chapter 5

O B S I D I A N

---

He wasn't exactly sure what lead him to actually go to this club meeting. Curiosity? Malicious intent? Longing? Obsidian would never know for sure. But he also knew he couldn't back down now, especially since his goal is within reach.

The scroll that Stomiidae gave him vibrated inside of his school bag, loud enough for everyone in his shared dorm to hear. He dove for his bag and pulled out the scroll and spread it out. This message appeared:

Nightwing club meeting reminder!
8:00 PM in the secret meeting room.
Room will already be expanded. Just walk right in!
Don't tell anyone that you're coming. I will know.

That last sentence was ominous, but it didn't stop Obsidian from arriving right at 8:00 o'clock at the door. He hesitantly opened the door and the room was even larger than before. The desk was cluttered with various objects, and there were now rows of desks and a blackboard in the back. A few dragons were already inside, keeping to themselves while they waited for the meeting to start. No one turned to look at him. He took a deep breath and walked in, closing the door behind him.

Stomiidae was at the front of the room at the desk, going over the objects with a concentrated expression. But he had looked up to the sound of the door closing. "Obsidian! I'm glad you could make it." he trotted over to him and took his talon and shook it. "Feel free to sit anywhere. We will start shortly."

He left Obsidian standing there and went back to his desk and hunched over again. Obsidian noticed a dark purple, almost black Nightwing reading in a desk at the far corner of the room, and decided to sit next to him. Hopefully he wouldn't bother him too much.

    He plopped down in the seat and the Nightwing glanced up to study him

He plopped down in the seat and the Nightwing glanced up to study him. He didn't look mean, rather he was analyzing Obsidian perhaps. He then nodded to Obsidian and went back to his book. Obsidian noticed he had the mind-reading scale next to his eye, but he was also wearing a skyfire earring, so he couldn't actually use his powers. Obsidian thought this was odd, but decided against asking him about it. He thought it would be best to just keep his mouth shut for now.

More Nightwings and Nightwing hybrids entered the room by 8:10, Stomiidae greeting them each with enthusiasm. Obsidian thought there was a surprising amount of dragons in the room. Maybe they're all just as curious as I am.

"Alright! Let's get started. You've all been waiting long enough," Stomiidae tapped on a piece of chalk, and it began to float and write the word "Welcome" on the blackboard. More animus magic, Obsidian thought with a pang of jealousy.

Suddenly, a purple and black Deepwing burst into the room, looking frazzled. Stomiidae turned around and glared at her, but kept his slimey smile. "Cobia, so wonderful of you to join us. Have a seat," he pointed to an empty seat next to Obsidian. She didn't say anything and trotted to the seat and sat down, looking hard at the desk. Obsidian faintly wondered why she showed up, since she didn't seem happy to be here like everyone else.