Chapter 2

O B S I D I A N

O B S I D I A N

---

Obsidian would rather just stay in his dorm and read.

If it were up to him, the only time he would leave was for meals. He would just stay in his dorm with his Pyrrihan scrolls and Pantalan books and just read. No distractions, no worries, just plain reading.

Unfortunately, the Nightwing/Icewing hybrid didn't have a choice. He had to leave his dorm for classes, and he could only borrow one book and one scroll from the library at a time. 

This afternoon he had to go to obnoxious battle training class, which was required at PDS. But even if there were an actual battle, he wouldn't be involved.

Unless it was a battle against the Icewings, then he would fight on the Icewings' side. 

His rightful tribe. 

Although if he did fight with them, he would be killed immediately... or at the very least, banned from the Ice Kingdom.

Even after thousands of years of hybrids roaming both continents, the Icewings (and most other tribes) liked to keep things "pure". A hybrid like him would have no place in the first circles, let alone the Icewing palace. That's why his parents moved to Possibility, where their relationship and dragonet would be accepted.

Obsidian felt at home in the cold. He liked it. It felt bitter, but the good kind of bitter. Like the nice bitter of coffee or tea, but on your skin. Though he didn't dare step foot in the Ice Kingdom. He didn't want to be killed before he could prove himself to them.

Until then, Obsidian would rather just stay in his dorm and read about the Ice Kingdom. Their animus gifts and extraordinary battle strategies kept him entertained for hours. But Obsidian can't stay in his dorm, and had to go to his classes. If he didn't, he would be kicked out of the school, and he would lose access to the library. That was almost worse than being rejected by the Icewings.

Obsidian begrudgingly made his way to Battle Training, a scroll and a book tightly held inside of his wing, looking down, trying not to interact with anyone. He was always late, since he didn't want to risk bumping into anybody on the way.

The halls were pretty much empty, since everyone was in class by now. Obsidian enjoyed the quiet until he got to the classroom door. He held onto the handle and sighed heavily, before-

"Obsidian!" a voice called behind him. He jumped and turned around, unsettled. No one ever called him by his name. No one ever talked to him. He had always tried his best to stay in the background... so... what gives?

The dragon that was calling him was none other than Stomiidae, the most popular, yet infamous Deepwing in PDS. Infamous since no one liked him very much in the school. Though Obsidian didn't have any interactions with him, so he didn't really care about him.