Chapter 14

O B S I D I A N

---

Obsidian was half asleep when Urchin waddled into the camp with his partner unconscious on his back. He was bleeding badly from his nose and shoulders, and his partner had a nasty looking scratch on the side of his face. Three moons, what happened?

Stomiidae approached them calmly, though he did look rather disappointed. "Urchin, is Whale alright?" he asked him. His tone sounded like a concerned father, and Obsidian thought that was really out of character.

"Yeah, he just got knocked out." he said, letting Cobia take Whale off his back, and carried him to the first aid hut. Cobia acted as the nurse, as it would be dangerous to expand the territory due to "uncooperative dragons". After Tetra left though, Cobia was tied to the hut door, so she couldn't escape either. She looked miserable, but her eyes were bright with hope when she learned of Tetra's escape.

"Did the rainwings fight you off? How many were there?" Stomiidae asked, not letting Urchin go to the first aid den as well. Ravencaller sat next to Obsidian and narrowed his eyes. "Urchin looks like he's lost a lot of blood. He should let him go to the hut." he muttered, not taking his eyes off the injured dragon. Obsidian sort of agreed with him, but just huffed in acknowledgement.

"No, it was some weird leafwing. Apparently we aren't the only ones in the jungle now." Urchin said, a hint of anger in his voice.

Stomiidae thoughtfully nodded. "I see. Where is their camp? We can't have them taking up space in our territory."

Urchin coughed and wheezed, and Obsidian finally noticed the gash on his neck. The dragon must have tried to kill him.

The leader stepped back to avoid stray blood getting on him and sighed. "Go to the first aid hut, thank you." he said, and Urchin gladly stepped to the side and versed to the hut, his tail dragging on the ground.

After seeing Urchin and Whale's injuries, some skeptical dragons seemed very eager to go home, though they were also very scared of Stomiidae, so they didn't try to leave. The security expanded as more and more dragons in the group became more loyal to Stomiidae, so the guards wouldn't let anyone else leave. Stomiidae also sent out the dragons he liked the most to go on expeditions, but if they didn't come back, he would write their names down on a scroll, but not do anything else. He didn't seem worried that they left though, since eventually they would come back a few days later, more loyal than ever.

Obsidian didn't really trust Stomiidae either, and now that they lost their animus dragon again, he thought that the chance of getting to be an icewing was nill.

Ravencaller got up after Urchin left and flicked his tail for Obsidian to follow. He groaned and dragged himself up to stand, and followed.

"Stomiidae, perhaps there should be some dragons who try to find this tribe," he suggested, and Stomiidae pricked his ears and urged him to go on. "After they saw some of our dragons, they may have patrols about. We could find them and ask for a peaceful solution."

"That is an excellent idea, Ravencaller." Stomiidae said, making Ravencaller puff out his chest and Obsidian rolled his eyes. "Why don't you and Obsidian go? You two seem like good friends, and I trust that you will help me out the best you can."

I wouldn't exactly call us friends, Obsidian thought, but he pushed that away. He felt himself blush as Ravencaller agreed with him. But maybe being friends with him wouldn't be so bad.

Obsidian never really had friends. He would consider his father to be his only friend, and his name was Owl. He took care of him and he taught him all about icewing ways.