Chapter 8

O B S I D I A N

---

Obsidian was deeply involved in his book, but snapped back to reality as a knock was heard at the dorm door. He instantly knew who it was.

He scrambled and shuffled through his things until he found the earring Ravencaller gave him. He held it in his talon for a moment, staring at it. He contemplated not even putting the earring on. It could be fake. He thought.

Another knock sounded from the door, and Obsidian jumped. I'll just control my thoughts. He decided, but he still put on the earring. Even if it was fake, it was still a gift.

Obsidian opened the dorm door and Stomiidae gave him an excited grin. "You already know why I'm here," he said, as he pushed back Obsidian and let himself in. It took all of his concentration not to push him back outside. Instead, Obsidian just shut the door behind him.

"Now, tell me Obsidian, what do you really want?" Stomiidae asked, staring straight into Obsidian's eyes. He's trying to read my mind. He thought, as he narrowed his eyes. Fine then. Good luck.

"I have a feeling you already know," Obsidian responded carefully. He felt as if he were walking on eggshells.

Stomiidae just sniffed and glanced at the earring. "I could be wrong," he said. "I want to be sure to pay you the best way I can."

Obsidian paused, almost deciding to tell him a lie. But he couldn't lie even if he wanted to. He needed this. This may be the only dragon who could do it.

"I want to become an icewing." he finally admitted, tilting his head to stare at his talons. He could tell that Stomiidae smiled at this, and he felt him put his talon on his shoulder. Obsidian tried to flinch away, but he had a surprisingly strong grip.

"Is that all?" he muttered, getting closer to Obsidian. Obsidian shook his head.

"I want to be apart of the First Circle," he continued, growing more desperate. "I want to be royal. I want to show them how valuable I am. I..." he took a deep breath. "I want to be a hero."

Stomiidae nodded and pulled away. "I understand." he said, reaching into a school bag he was carrying and pulling out a quill and a scroll. "That seems like a doable goal," he said as he began to write.

It's impossible. Obsidian thought, but he pushed it away. Stomiidae could help me.

He heard him stop writing, and he put his talons lightly on Obsidian's chin, lifting his head up to look into his eyes. They were poison purple, but they were filled with nothing but empathy. Obsidian breathed in, filling his nose with Stomiidae's scent. He suddenly felt himself relax. Stomiidae blinked slowly, and dragged his talon along Obsidian's cheek, making him shiver, though it wasn't out of fear. Obsidian was really able to notice his features. He's so handsome. Though he felt a shot of panic as he thought it. Stomiidae's gaze didn't waver, instead, he nodded.

He cares. He breathed in as he realized he was holding his breath. Stomiidae smiled and pulled away, though a strange part of Obsidian longed for him to come back.

"I will help you," he said, breaking the comfortable silence. "All you have to do is help me."

Obsidian couldn't bring himself to speak, so he only nodded. Stomiidae beamed and patted him again on the shoulder. "Excellent." he said, and put his things away. He walked past Obsidian and opened the dorm door to leave. "I'll see you at the next meeting."

Stomiidae glanced back and gave him a friendly smile, then left, shutting the door behind him. Obsidian didn't move for a long time. He didn't know what to feel.