Chapter 1

Alia's POV:

Alia's POV:

Standing in front of the mirror in the bridal room got me thinking about my entire life. My whole life, I tried to be the best at everything.

Topper of all my classes. Graduated and entered the finance field. Agreed to get married with the perfect choice according to my parents.

I stood there in my wedding dress, thinking am I really happy? Is this what I wanted? Who am I even marrying? Do I even enjoy my work?

The music from the wedding hall could be heard from my room. I could hear laughter and celebration from my friends and family.

Yet, I whose wedding this was, hadn't smiled in days. My heart beat against my chest as if screaming to pop out.

My breathing became unstable and the room started to spin. "Come on let's go get her" I heard my cousins and friends talking from outside of the room.

It was time, time for my whole world to turn upside down. In the next moment, I didn't think, I moved quickly and locked the door.

I saw the knob jiggle and my friend shouted, "Alia tum theek ho?" [Alia are you alright] I didn't answer. I looked around, thinking of what I should do.

All I knew was that I couldn't go downstairs and marry a stranger and continue I live that was strangling me slowly each day. "I–I–I'm fine!" I shouted.

"I–I just–give me a minute" I couldn't breathe properly. I was about to have a panic attack. I didn't know what to do or what to say or who to say it to.

I didn't think anyone here would understand. No one would understand that I was tired, tired of being perfect all the fucking time.

In that moment, I just snapped. I opened the door and pushed past all of my cousins and friends waiting for me. "Alia?!" "Alia stop!" "Where are you going?" "Alia!!" I ignored all of them.

I didn't want to think about anyone. I clung onto my heavy dress and ran downstairs. I heard murmurs around me as I ran down the hall.

"Dulhan hai na?" [She's the bride right?] "Alia? Kya kar rahi ho?" [Alia? What are you doing?] I almost stopped at my mother's voice, almost.

I ran out of the wedding hall and I heard my family screaming after me. Thankfully, I saw a taxi right outside.

Before any of them could register what was happening and stop me, I sat inside and screamed, "Chalo!" [Go!]

I refused to look out of the window and look at my family members. I was afraid I will melt and stop.

"Madam kahan jana hai?" [Madam where to?] "Train station" I replied. I leaned back as he took me to the train station. I didn't cry, instead I was relieved.

"Agaya Madam" [We're here Madam] I got out of the taxi and started to walk to the station. "Madam?" I turned towards the taxi driver.

"Paisey" [Money] I smacked my hand onto my head. In my rush, I didn't think of taking anything with me. No money, no phone nothing at all.

My eyes fell onto my little bridal bag hanging from my wrist. I opened it, hoping there would be something inside.

My aunt had given me some wedding money but it was not enough. "Sirf intne hain" [I only have this much]

"Agar paisay nahin hote toh...chalo choro" [If you didn't have money...never mind] He snatched the money from my hand and drove away.

I looked at my bag, completely empty. I looked around and noticed a couple of people looking at me. I got scared and uncomfortable.

It was the middle of the night and I was all alone in front of a train station. I quickly made my way into the station.

Thankfully there were quite a few people there. I looked around and found the ticket counter. I didn't know how I was going to pay for it though.

"Bhaiyya Manali station ke liye kitna?" [Brother how much till the Manali station?] My family have a holiday home in Manali.

We haven't been there for ages but I had nowhere else to go. I knew I could find the keys near the house. We always kept a spare.

The man told me the prize and I said, "Main yeh jhumkay dein doon toh chalega?" [Can I give you these earrings instead] "Kya mazaq hai madam?" [What kind of joke is this madam]

"Manali ke char tickets bhaiyya" [Four tickets for Manali brother] A guy with a significantly deep voice stood next to me and bought four tickets.

"Bhaiyya please jhumkay le lo na?" [Bhaiyya please just take the earrings] "Madam ap–Bhaisaab ap madam ko samjhein ke sirf paisay le saktay hain" [Madam you- Brother can you explain to madam that I can only accept money]

The guy turned to me and said, "Here I'll buy you one" I looked at him strangely, "Why?" He shrugged, "You seem like you need it" He paid the man for me and gave me my ticket.

"Thank you" He nodded and smiled. "Aryan let's go" He turned to his friend or brother who knows. "Safe trip" He said before he left.

I looked at my ticket and placed it into my bag. According to the big clock on the wall, there was ten minutes left for the train to depart.

"Idhar dekho!" [Look here!] I immediately hid behind the pillar when I saw my father's guards walking around the station.

They must have figured I came here and were looking for me. Their faces told me if they found me, they were going to drag me back to the wedding.

I kept trying to avoid them by hiding behind pillars and benches. The sound of the train alerted me. That was my train.

I saw my father's head of security. It was now or never. I ran for the train and tried to hold onto the handle. 

The screams of my dad's security could be heard from behind as they tried to catch up to me. I looked behind and saw they were closing in.

My dress was too heavy and my heels were too high for me to run any faster. My heavy jewellery and makeup was pulling me down further.

I saw the guy who bought me my ticket standing at the edge of the train door with a cigarette. I tried to remember his name.

"Aryan!" I remember his name and shouted to get his attention. He threw his cigarette away and leaned down. I reached for his hand and he pulled me in.

I peered out and saw the train leave the station and the dad's security was left on the platform. I held onto Aryan as I tried to catch my breath.