Chapter 20

I placed my earrings in my ear and took a look in the mirror

I placed my earrings in my ear and took a look in the mirror. I took a deep breath and calmed myself.

I had looked at myself in the form of a bride twice before. Both times I took off from the wedding without a second glance.

For the first time, I had the full intention of going downstairs and marrying the man I'm supposed to.

I heard a knock on the door before it swung open. I smiled when I saw a beaming Suhana walk in. She was dressed in a beautiful lehenga.

"Oof gurl gimme a spin" I hyped her. She excitedly spun for me and showed off her outfit. "Nah you're about to steal the show" I told her.

"Shut up look at you" She stood behind my chair and looked into the mirror. "Bhaiyya is gonna lose it when he sees you" She pressed my shoulders and told me.

"Help me with my veil?" I asked. "Sure where is i–oh found it" She picked up my veil that was placed neatly on my bed.

She stood behind me again when the door swung open. Aryan's mom walked into the room dressed in a beautiful sari.

"Suhana papa is calling you go help him" She instructed her. "But this–" Suhana said. "Don't worry I'll help her" His mom said.

Suhana handed her the veil and left the room. As soon as she shut the door, her mom walked towards me.

"You look beautiful my dear" I blushed when she complimented me. "Thank you ma" She started placing the veil on me.

"Listen Alia I wanted to talk to you about a few matters" She said in a serious tone. Oh boy. I started to panic a little.

"I know what you've been through in the past and know that no one in this family will ever judge you" She assured me.

"You will always be free to make your own decisions about everything be it your dressing, your beliefs anything" She told me.

I smiled at her. She fixed my veil as she continued. "That being said, there is something you should know" She said.

"And believe me I'm saying this as a mother not a stereotypical evil mother-in-law" She joked making me laugh.

I knew she was saying this as a mother. She had been more of a mother to me these past few days than my own mother had been my whole life.

I trusted and respected her completely so I listened carefully. Whatever she was going to say, I wanted to listen well.

"Whatever happens promise me you will never jump to conclusions about anything and will always make sure to talk it out with Aryan" She advised.

"Trust is the true foundation, never lose that or you'll lose everything in your marriage" She told me.

"I've seen many marriages break because of lack of trust and communication" She attached the edge of my veil to my sleeve.

"I don't mean to scare you but a marriage in our industry needs a different level of trust" She explained.

"There are too many incidents where a large misunderstanding could occur and I don't want you two to get stuck in it" She warned me.

"So just be careful and take care of each other" She advised me. I took in every word she said out love and care.

She fixed my veil onto my other sleeve. "Please don't think I'm only putting this burden on you" She defended herself.

"I believe Shah and I have raised Aryan to be a man who will love and treat you like the queen you truly are" I chuckled when she said that.

She completed my look and placed her hands on my shoulders. "I really mean that, you are a gem. Aryan got lucky"

Her warm smile could melt the heart of anyone who sees it. I finally learnt what a mother's smile should be like.

After my talk with Aryan's mom, I finally understood what it is like to get advice that is not just mere dictation.

I knew she meant well and so I will ensure I try to follow her advice. She raised Aryan and Suhana. That's enough proof for me to trust her.

I was left alone in my room till the time of the ritual for the wedding. I peered outside the window to see many fans lined up at the front of the house.

There were some policemen stationed to control the crowd. In mere minutes, I was taken downstairs.

Suhana walked down with me and I couldn't take my eyes off Aryan. He looked incredibly handsome as he waited for me in his wedding outfit.

We sat down next to each other as the wedding rituals started. Our families were all standing around us watching patiently as the wedding took place.

"Rukho" [Stop] All of us turned our heads towards the main door when we heard a man's voice. It was one of the policemen standing at the doorway.

All of us exchanged looks with each other. "Kya hua?" [What happened] Aryan's dad asked. "There is an intruder in your house" He informed us.

"We think someone had the chance to sneak in" I looked around in the house. "We need to check right now" He said. "Right now?" My dad asked.

"Yes it's for your safety especially his family" He pointed at Aryan's dad. "Sir we have to check" His dad's head of security said.

Aryan's dad looked at us and we knew he didn't have a choice. He nodded and let the men do their work.

They searched around for twenty minutes while I sat there with only half the rituals done. "Don't worry we'll be married soon" Aryan whispered.

I tried to smile at him but in reality I was worried. I ran from two of my weddings. What if the third one runs from me?

Maybe third one's not the charm. My thoughts were interrupted by the sounds of shoes clicking against the steps of the stairs.

We all gasped as the police and our security dragged a man in his mid-twenties down the stairs.

"He was stealing jewellery from the bedrooms" They informed us. "Take him to the station, Ravi write the report on my behalf" Aryan's dad instructed.

As soon as they left the house, his dad turned to us. "Let's get these two married" I sighed in relief, thankful the wedding wasn't stopped.

Aryan grabbed my hand and squeezed it as we continued the wedding rituals. In mere minutes, we were officially married.