Chapter 23

"This is such a beautiful dress" I spun around for Aryan in our bedroom

"This is such a beautiful dress" I spun around for Aryan in our bedroom. He chuckled as he fixed the buttons of his suit.

"You look beautiful darling" He moved towards me and held me by the waist. We heard a knock on the door.

"Bhaiyya we gotta leave soon" Suhana told us from the other side. "Coming" I said loudly. "Wait before we go" Aryan held onto me.

"You remember what I told you right?" He asked. Aryan had given me a bunch of instructions to follow for tonight.

We were getting ready for our reception bash that invited high profile guests including fellow celebrities and friends.

I was really nervous for tonight and Aryan's constant instructions were not helping. "Yes I remember" I assured him.

He nodded but I was honestly not sure if I could remember everything. He led me downstairs where guests were already starting to fill up.

I smiled at whoever I made eye contact with but didn't how to approach anyone. They all looked so intimidating.

"Well didn't see this coming" I smiled when I heard Nirvaan's voice. "Nirvaan!" I hugged him tightly.

Ibrahim came up to us and hugged me as well. "I feel like I missed a few chapters of this story" Ibrahim joked.

"Yeah a lot of us feel that actually" A girl next to Suhana said, I recognised her as Ananya Pandey. Aryan introduced me to all of his friends.

I got the feeling his friends weren't huge fans of me. I even noticed Nirvaan and Ibrahim's behaviour was slightly different.

Aryan's mother introduced me to many people around the house. I didn't feel comfortable around anyone.

I tried looking around for Aryan but he wasn't anywhere in sight. I needed him right now and didn't know where he disappeared.

I sat down with Ibrahim and asked him if everything was alright. Ibrahim sighed and finally answered me.

"Look it's just that we've known Aryan our whole lives and it was a little weird that he got married like this" He told me.

"I didn't know you two were–when–you know never mind it's fine" He excused himself and left me alone.

I could feel the judgement of everyone around me. They were all curious as to how I know Aryan and why the sudden marriage.

Aryan has been in all of their lives for ages and it seems everyone was hurt that didn't know he was getting married.

"So Alia" Shanaya came up to me. "How did you and Aryan meet?" She asked. "Oh we were both on a trip in Manali" I told her.

"I thought you did a photoshoot in Manali" She said. "Did you guys meet there and immediately start shooting?" She asked.

I could tell she was trying to pry. She knew something was wrong in that story and she was trying to find answers.

I looked around desperately trying to find Aryan but couldn't spot him anywhere. I seriously needed him right now.

"I-I knew I was going to do this project I just officially met him in Manali" I tried to keep calm as I told her.

"So no trip?" She nodded before excusing herself. I shut my eyes and took a deep breath. I looked around for Aryan.

"Alia? What are you doing?" Suhana asked me. "It's your reception bash, mingle with these people" She told me.

"But–" "But what?" She didn't let me complete my sentence. There was a bit of harshness in her voice that I decided to ignore.

"Everyone is starting to talk about why you two got married so suddenly?" She told me in a hushed tone.

"You need down these murmurs by showing a great personality that they will believe bhaiyya couldn't turn down" She explained in whispers.

"Didn't bhaiyya tell you that" She asked. "It was one of the instructions I think" I murmured. She pushed me to go and mingle but I didn't know where to start.

People my age were Aryan's friends who weren't vibing with me. No way was I talking to the men and most of the women were judging me.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around. There were two women around Aryan's mother's age.

"Hi sweetheart I'm Bhavana, Ananya's mom. I believe you met my daughter just now" I greeted her politely.

"And I'm Nirvaan's mom, Seema. You met Nirvaan in Manali right?" She asked. "Yes aunty I did. He was great company" I told her.

The aunties were sweet enough to chat with me. They told me stories of when all their children were younger.

"Oh God they were crazy" I laughed with them. "They still are honestly, good luck darling" Nirvaan's mother warned me.

"You really got a gem. Aryan takes care of everyone" Ananya's mom told me. I smiled softly and nodded.

"I know Aryan's taken care of me more than anyone else" I stated. "He has taken care of our children like a guardian" Nirvaan's mom said.

"Even now when Ananya has a problem, he'll stay on call with her" She told me. I thought it was sweet that Aryan was so caring.

"In fact just the other night earlier this week they were talking for hours at night" She stated casually.

"I don't know how Aryan handles her" She said. I smiled at them as they spoke about Aryan but I couldn't help but think about the phone call.

Aryan told me it was a work call and I should believe it. He was not in the same room as me so I didn't hear the conversation though.

I couldn't stop thinking whether he was talking to another girl on our wedding night. I tried to convince myself Aryan wouldn't do that.

"Where is Aryan?" Nirvaan's mom asked. "Actually aunty I was just thinking to go find him. Excuse me please" I said politely.

They smiled sweetly and let me go find Aryan. "Sue? Some people were asking about Aryan have you seen him?" I asked.

She looked around and shook her head. One of their friends, Navya, overheard us. "He's with Ananya I think" She casually said.

I shouldn't feel this way but I felt a pang of jealousy in my heart. I tried not to show it though. "I'll go find him" I told them.

I looked around the house, greeting people and stopping to chat with them along the way. I finally turned a corner and saw Aryan standing with Ananya in the corner.

They seemed to be having a serious conversation about something I couldn't hear. Ananya happened to spot me and immediately stopped talking.

I walked closer and heard her say, "I'll call you later" She walked away from Aryan and he finally turned to see me.

"Alia what happened?" He asked. Ananya flashed me a smile I could've sworn was fake. "Everyone's looking for you, they keep asking me where you are" I told him.

"Well all you had to do was say right here" He held onto my waist and I started walking back with him.

"You okay?" He asked softly in my ear as we walked back to the party. "Mhm" I simply replied. I don't know how convincing it sounded.