XVIII) Nicholas- Schnitzel

The sirens pierced my ears to the point where I thought I would go deaf. My mind spun like crazy. "Marion, love, we have to go. I have to fight." She agreed, but she grasped my body before I could do anything. "Please!" She began to beg, "Nick. I can't..." She begged, but I tried to get away from her. It didn't work. "Nick, wait." I stopped and let her give one last hug. "Listen Marion, this is your time to shine. Show those other pilots that they are worthless and you're fancy as ever before. Are you going anonymous?" I asked her, but then she nodded her head yes. She smirked and I did the same. Her hand finally let go of me and I could tell that it pained her.

Firing up those jet engines is always a rightful experience. "Hallo mein piloten! Ich bin gut!" I didn't even ask for clearance to take off. I just did what I wanted. I could tell that Marion's plane made it in the air too. Turbulence hit hard due to the 40 or so planes that flew overhead. "Hey, Marion, don't go that way." As soon as I wanted the enemy plane shot. "Nick! Bravo!" She warned me. She shot a bullet out of her plane and it hit two jets. One from Russia and one from China. "Gut! Prost Marion!" I have to admit that flirting a little over frequency made things a lot easier. "Danke!" She said most likely smiling.

I felt the drag in the plane's thrust as I pushed the plane to the limits. "Hey hey hey! Nein. Richtig!" I commanded through the frequency. "Ich bin in der Nähe, wirklich nein, links!" Marion attempted to respond over frequency. Her German was great, but not the best. A plane exploded right in front of me, which resulted in having to position the plane differently. I yanked up on the stick causing a vertical manner of flight. I saw one of my fellow comrades go down. That pained me a lot.

My state of mind was nothing but pure discouragement. However, I could almost hear a clear voice call my name. It sounded like my grandfather who lived through WWII. Invisible drums beat to a steady 1, 2,3, 4 beat. I felt it in my soul as it electrified my body. The tribal tune was not just to a German folk song that I learned to sing as a child, but it was more of that connection. It echoed through my mind causing me to stay focused and motivated. I remembered kissing Marion -those were the best moments in my life. Her lips were soft like satin and her hair smelling like piquant lavender and honey. I remembered how she wrapped her arms around me in a tight embrace- how instant our chemistry is. "Marion! Hold short!" I yelled as I zoned back in. The music played in my mind again as I shot down three more planes. "Ja!" One of the other pilots expressed their excitement. "Hmm risky." I rolled my eyes over frequency. "Marion, osten!" I commanded Marion to go east. She listened and I followed her. I dipped my plane down and around the hill that surrounded the area. My mind remembered my mother's favorite song: Amazing Grace. I've never been very religious. I've kinda gone off the beaten path, but there's something so different about Marion. She reminds me so much of that song in a beautiful way. She's helped me through a lot.

The sun set to a deep Orange. It appeared that all of the planes were gone. We both landed our planes out on the runway. Taxiing felt like an eternity. "Nicholas..." I heard a nice female voice call. "Marion! We have to gather supplies. The commander told me that I have to leave. America and Germany want you. Gosh darn it Marion, they all want you to fight." She shrugged her shoulders as I continued, "you kicked butt out there Marion!" She laughed as her body walked closer to mine. I could tell she was out of breath. "Nick, thank you, but I'm not feeling well. I can't go on like this. I will anyway." She laughed it off like nothing was wrong. "Mm" she sighed. "Darf ich dich küssen?" she asked me and of course I said yes. I responded with, "natürlich!" She jumped into my arms and smiled shyly. "Es ist gut Marion... küss mich." I waited for her to kiss me like she asked, but she just stared into my eyes. A single tear fell down her cheek. She sniffled a little as she stared into my eyes. We didn't say anything, but I wiped her tears from her face. She sniffled again and finally laid her head on my shoulder as we wrapped our arms around each other. "Mmm." She mumbled very quietly.

"What's wrong?" I asked her quietly. She rocked her body slightly back and forth, which caused me to do the same. "Hey!" A sharp voice called above her soft crying. I turned and it was the Sergeant. "Yes sir!" I said as I stood giving him full attention. He stopped closer. "Is this her? The girl?" He asked me while pointing to Marion. I told him yes before he continued speaking, "We are having the last BMT training for the next two days and I need someone to teach for two sessions. She is so good, too good. After that it will be the final deployment and we will be going over the border. This is a secret, so you must not tell anyone." This sergeant seemed nice and appreciative. He was nice to Marion, but she stayed standing beside me. "Yes sir!" She responded. He nodded and left.

"Nick I know that I'm like all over you, but I just don't know..." she began to say, but I interrupted, "when we will die. I understand. I'm sure everything will be alright." She smiled as she pulled my shirt and hugged me. "Nick... Vielen dank." I could tell she was smiling ear to ear. "Gern geschehen." I replied back. "Gosh Nick, I love you. I have an idea..." the tone of her voice was a little one to suspect. "Yeah and what is this?" I asked her back. Her head rested on my shoulder. She scoffed, "what to teach in that class. I can whip those pilots into shape. Are you coming to my class tomorrow?" She asked in a demanding voice. "I'm forced to." I replied to her sly questions. "Good, I may need a volunteer. Goodnight Nick." She walked away, smirked, and went to the barracks where the American pilots were staying. I went to the German barracks where I had all my stuff.

As soon as my head hit the pillow I was out... the bad dreams began...