CHAPTER 30. Camping

The answer was simple yet devastating to me.

Tears welled up in my eyes, and my vision began to blur. I didn’t want to cry, especially with my makeup on, but the tears flowed uncontrollably. If it weren’t for the damn vase breaking, I might have lost all control.

I started picking up the pieces, but my fingers got cut instead. The tears finally stopped.

"Holly!" my mom exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

I wanted to shout back at her, to tell her just how much of a bitch she was. Mrs. Inclement was right—my mother wasn't loyal, and her marriage clearly didn't matter to her.

But somehow, I couldn’t bring myself to fight back. Tonight was still Blaze's night, and I didn’t want to ruin it.

I turned to them. "Hinahanap ko ang CR. I got sidetracked by the vase. It’s so pretty, but it just slipped out of my hands."

She sighed and turned to Mr. Inclement. "I'll cover the cost, Sam."

"It's alright, Had. It isn't worth that much anyway," sagot naman nito.

Tita Marga was studying my face. I kept my expression neutral.

"Where's the bathroom, anyway?" I asked.

"I'll take you there," said my mother. No, not my mother. She wasn't a mother to me to begin with. She's just a woman named Hadley who happened to give birth to me.

"Nag-iba ata ihip ng hangin," I mocked. "What, did you swipe the Inclements' air freshener and let it go to your head, making you suddenly decide to be nice to your daughter?"

"Do you want to go to the bathroom or not?"

"Jeez. You're so moody."

I followed her, trying to calm myself. I didn’t want to let my emotions get the best of me—not tonight. It was still Blaze's birthday.

We reached the black door, and I went inside. I waited for a few minutes before stepping out, but I couldn’t see my mother anywhere. I didn’t know where she had gone. Maybe she's done playing the good mother. 

I just returned to our table. The games were now done.

Blaze made a speech  thanking everyone who was here. He made a special thanks to his father who he deemed as someone who was loyal to his family. Gusto kong matawa pero nagpigil ako.

After that, we were allowed to go home. Sinusulyapan ako ni Tita Marga kaya nginitian ko siya.

Blaze went to me. "Ako na ang maghahatid sa 'yo?"

I nodded. "Sure."

Our friends gave us smiles. Mary even gave me a thumbs up.

Pinagtripan na naman ng nanay niya si Maddie. Even if she clearly hates being with Gabe, she pretends she likes his presence. Kaya nga inutusan pa ni Tita ang kaibigan ko na ihatid si Maddie sa Reinhart. The guy didn't even hesitate to agree out of spite.

Naunang umuwi ang mga magulang namin. I didn't talk to my parents again. I didn't want to talk to them.

Napatingin ako kay Gabe na bina-bad trip na naman si Maddie. What he told me before suddenly crossed my mind.

I need to talk to him to further solidify what's bothering me right now.

"Blaze, sabay na lang ako kay Gabe," I told him. "Sa 'yo na lang muna si Maddie."

He scanned my face for a moment before saying, "Okay."

"Yes!" Maddie celebrated. "Finally, a ride where I can't be with this guy."