Chapter Eighteen

Ember's POV

I finally got away from Noah and I'm home alone now. Aria isn't home, so I decided to text Riley and Jada.

I walk to my room and hop on my bed, pulling my phone from my pocket.

Ember > Riley & Jada

Hey guys, I miss you! How are you guys doing?

I slip my phone back into my pocket and decide to clean up my room. About five minutes later, my phone beeps.

Riley > Ember & Jada

Hey! I miss you too, I'm good. How are you?

Ember > Riley & Jada

I'm good, what've you been up to?

Riley > Ember & Jada

Oh you know, partying and everything else!

Ember > Riley & Jada

Of course!

I hear loud banging on the front door and I slip my phone into my pocket. I quickly make my way to it and try to see who it is. I open the door, praying nothing bad will happen.

The man looks very familiar, way too familiar. I can't put my finger on it. Where do I know him from?

It takes me a minute, and then it connects. It's my older brother.

"Alex..." I muttered, tears quickly forming in my eyes.

"Ember..." He said, studying me.

Alex is three years older than me. I haven't thought about him in so long, I forced myself to forget him because it hurt so bad. So many emotions are coursing through my body right now, hurt, sadness, betrayal, confusion and especially anger.

"Why the fuck are you here?" I spat, trying to keep my cool.

"Let me explain, please."

"Get out." I spat, again.

"Let me explain."

"You have five minutes." I tell him, motioning him to come in.

"Are you just gonna stand there?"

"No, I-"

"The clocks ticking."

"I don't even know where to start..."

"How about why you left? Why the hell did you leave me with our abusive mother who didn't give a damn about us?"

"I-I had to. I got myself involved with bad people, and I had to repay them. I had to do jobs for them, I couldn't put your life in danger. I couldn't risk your life because of my mistakes." He explains. Even though I'm confused, I nod my head for him to continue.

"After I repaid them, I got out and I was eighteen. I started working actual jobs, I worked day and night for money. I worked so hard, I was even homeless for a few months. I kept working and finally bought a small apartment. I lived there for about a year, until I had the money to support myself and you." I nodded once again.

"I have been searching for you since the day I knew I could get you out of there. I came back, and tried to find you. But you weren't there, there was no sign of you. I even talked to our mother, and she had no idea where you went."

"I tried everything to find you, but I couldn't. I did everything in my power, I didn't know what else to do. There were no traces, no leads, nothing. So I involved myself with the bad people again. They helped me find you, it took them awhile but they did it."

"I-I don't even know what to say. I'm sorry." I whispered, wrapping my arms around him as tears started to stream down my cheeks.

"You don't have to say anything, it's okay." He painfully whispered back, wrapping his arms tightly around me.

After a few minutes, we finally let each other go.

"It's been more than five minutes." He jokes.

"Shut up." I say with a laugh.

"How did you manage to get out of there?" He questions with curiosity.

"I started working multiple jobs, and saved my money. When I had enough, I left without saying a word to our mother. My best friend Aria let me live with her for a long time, and eventually I paid her back for it. Then we moved out here, and we've lived together since."

"I'm so sorry I couldn't bring you with me."

"It's okay, I just never understood. I thought you hated me, or that I did something. I never understood."

"Never, I could never hate you."

I smile and hugged him again, I didn't realize how much I've missed him. I never even thought about him, I really did think that he hated me. I miss him, words can't explain how much I've missed him. I miss the jokes, the laughter, the happiness, the everything.

At one point, he was my everything. I had nobody else. No friends, no parents, nothing. Only him, he was all I ever knew and ever had. That's why it hurt me so bad when he left, it broke me into pieces. That is when I became someone else. I hid my emotions and learned to not give a fuck.

"I've missed you, so much." I say, tears streaming down my cheeks again.

"I've missed you too, but don't cry. It's okay."

"I can't help it." I say and he laughs.

"I'm so glad that you found me. Are you done with the bad people though?"

"I am too. Yeah, we're on good terms. But there done with me, they don't need anything anymore." I nod in response.

"Where are you staying?"

"I don't really know, I couldn't believe this was actually true, that I would get to finally see my sister after years of trying to find her. I didn't plan it out."

"Stay here, we have a guest room. I'm sure Aria won't mind."

"Thank you."

"Of course, are you hungry or anything?"

"A little bit. Want to go out and get something?"

"Sure." I say with a smile.

Hi everyone, I hope you guys enjoyed this. I haven't really had the motivation to write and my mental health is really bad right now. I'm sorry if I don't update as frequently, I'm trying though. I love you all so much, have a great day <3

Tiktok: she.luvs.to.write

Word Count: 1014