Chapter 37

The three of them find their way to a small seating area in the corner of the lab. Jo sits across from Shuri who is intently studying her as they sit. Bucky sits down next to Jo, taking her hand in his. He leans forward. "Can you help her Shuri?"

Shuri's gaze flickers from Jo to Buck. "I need that blood sample. We'll have to make sure that this is not a side effect of the serum." Her voice trails off as she looks back to Jo.

"What if it's not?" She sees Bucky turn to look at her. It's something that's been weighing on her. The serum healed her physical wounds but as Steve plops himself next to Shuri, his arm sprawled across the back of the couch.

"Then we will figure it out." Bucky says firmly with a curt nod as he looks back to Shuri.

She can feel his grip tighten on her hand as he waits for Shuri to answer.

"We will do everything we can to help you, Jo." She offers a reassuring smile to Jo. "But I need you to tell me everything you're experiencing. It's the only way I can properly diagnose and treat you."

Jo nods. "Well..." Her eyes flick between Bucky, Shuri and finally Steve. "Steve's currently sitting next to you." She points lazily at the empty spot on the couch next to Shuri. "He's just there."

Bucky shifts in his seat before standing up, walking behind the couch, his palms resting on the headrest.

"How long have you been seeing him?" Shuri asks, softly. Her body language doesn't change as Jo mentions Steve.

A deep breath leaves Jo's lips. "Since the day on the boat."

Shuri has started typing on her tablet, taking notes, Jo assumes. "What about after that?"

"Then the hospital room, after Bucky and Sam got back—Then at the house and now here."

"Does he say anything to you?"

A hollow laugh leaves her lungs. Jo looks up at Bucky behind her before looking to Shuri. "Yeah. We've...talked."

Shuri raises a brow. "You've had a conversation with him?"

"Short ones, yes."

She begins typing on the tablet again, the soft padding of her fingers against the glass begin to fill the silence. Jo picks at the skin on her thumb, chewing on her lip doing everything she can to avoid the cold stare Steve was currently giving her. "Shuri, please say something. You're making me nervous." Jo says with an awkward chuckle. She feels Bucky's hand rest on her shoulder from behind.

"I'm sorry, Jo. I'd like to run some tests, if that's okay?" Shuri asks as she stands. "Just an EEG to check your brain waves. I'd also like to do another CT scan to make sure nothing has changed."

Jo stands along with her, Bucky taking his place next to her again. "Can we do it soon?" She asks, her hand finding his and locking their fingers. He can feel her nervousness and hear how fast her heart is beating. "I don't want to wait any longer. I just want to get back to normal."