t h i r t y - n i n e

There was a type of love, that you read about in books and you wish you can experience

The type of love when you see them, your body bursts into flames, your heart pounds a little faster and butterflies dance around your stomach. 

I held my breath for a moment, August fingers trailed down my spine where my scars started to fade into nothing but a distant memory of the pain I endured. It was a simple touch but my body burn, and my heart pounded against my chest. 

My eyes flicked to his, he saved me in every way that a person can be saved. 

I sat on his lap, the warm sun shining down on my back as we sat outside. The smell of the fresh flowers I planted in our new garden filled my nose. Two months drifted off in a blink of an eye. 

"Such pretty brown eyes filled with thoughts," His voice rasped the quietest whisper, it sent a chill down my spine despite the sweat dripping down my forehead. 

"What's on your mind, love?" 

August slipped a protective arm around my waist keeping me from falling, my hands pressed flat on his chest looking at the ink sunk through this white shirt. 

"I'm happy," It was the truth, the death of my father lifted so much heavy weight off my shoulders. I was saved. "I found my way home," 

He looked at me. His hair was still a mess, and in the bright morning sunlight he looked more handsome every morning I woke up to him. 

My shoulders dropped, and a lazy smile on my lips. "For most people, home is a house, a door with windows but to me. It's nothing but two arms holding you tight when you're at your worse," 

His hands tighten on my waist. I couldn't talk about what happened in that dark cell, each endless night wishing I was dead just to let the pain stop. When he saved me, I couldn't speak but only cried in his arms. 

The pain was unbearable, my eyes drifted to the butterfly passing by watching it land on the tulips I planted with Spencer a couple of weeks ago, that were just starting to bloom. 

He kissed my bare shoulder, and the pink satin dress's thin strap slowly fell off my shoulder. 

"I couldn't think, my world stopped when you weren't by my side," August breathed, my heart thumped against my rib cage, he never spoke how it was for him. 

This month slowly went by and the more we didn't talk about it, it made the little elephant in the room grow. I heard so briefly how he acted, 'A mad man' his late grandfather was named that years ago, people said it was bound to happen again. 

"Without you, I was a mad man. You haunted my thoughts and invaded my dreams until I was sure I saw you even when you weren't there," He sounded resigned.