Chapter 14

Katie's pov:
What a restless night. Events from that night replayed in my head over and over. I need him. No! No I don't he broke my heart. Why does this have to be so hard! Why can't I figure out the feelings that I have. I grab my phone that has been going off all night from the lamp table. I- well Caspar made sure I avoided touching it last night. I looked over to Caspar making sure he was asleep. I turned on my phone and saw 11 messages and 8 missed calls and 2 voicemails. All from Joe and Lauren. I shouldn't read these... I unlocked it and read Joe's first.

It wasn't what it looked like!
I can explain!
Please Katie!
It didn't mean anything!
Are you okay?
I'm sorry!
I never meant to hurt you.
I love you.

I felt my lip quiver and my eyes turning glossy. I clicked on Lauren's
I'm sorry!
Please let me explain before you hate me!
I would never intentionally hurt you! Please call me back!
How could she do this to me? She was my best friend.
I clicked Joe's voicemails
"Katie! Please please let me explain it wasn't at all what it looked like! I swear! Where are you? Are you safe? Please answer my calls! "
" I love you Katie! Please please call me back, I know I'm the last person you want to talk to right now but I love you! I never meant to hurt you! Why would I want to ruin the one thing that made me happy. I'm sorry."

I felt the warm tears slip down my cheeks leaving a trail behind. I bit my lip holding back noises and sniffles. Everything was perfect, I was happy. Now I'm broken and empty. I should've known, I'm not a little kid anymore. I need to wake up from this dream and realize their is no such thing as fairytales. I guess I would realize sooner or later. I shouldn't need a man to make me happy. But no matter how many times I told myself this, I felt like I did need him. I feel like I can't breathe without him. I get up and sneak to the bathroom. I let my thumb hover over his name before finalizing my decision. I press call. "Katie? I'm so sorry! Please plea-" he starts but I cut him off. "meet me at the park in 30 Then you can explain." I reply and begin to chew my bottom lip to try and keep the tears back."okay." I hung up and let out a huge breath with the tears and slide down the door. I buried my head into my hands and sobbed. After a good five minutes I took off the robe from the hotel and slipped on the white dress and peeled the tape off. I pulled my hair into a braid, wrote a note for Cas and left
*
I sat on the bench watching the kids swing. I felt a presence behind me so I turned and saw Joe staring at me. He had dark circles under his eyes signaling he didn't get much sleep either. He walked over and sat next to me. "hi." I Say with no feelings even though I was feeling so many."hey" he replied nervously. I waited for him to continue, to explain what happened. "I thought it was you." he blurted out. "What?" I asked confused. "I was looking for you, last night, I thought Lauren was you. It was dark, i was feeling cheeky so I grabbed your- I mean her arm, spent her around and kissed her without completely seeing who it was. It felt different. well Actually I didn't feel anything. "I stared blankly at the kids listening to every word that left his tongue. "Katie, I would never do anything like that! I would never intentionally hurt you. You mean so much to me, I wouldn't want to ruin what we have with some stupid kiss. What we have it's different. It's something I've never felt before." He put his hand on my cheek and turned my face towards him. "I know. That's why it hurt so much when I saw you with her." i admit. "I know baby but trust me I genuinely thought it was you." he said with guilt in his eyes. He felt bad, he never meant to hurt me. How could I even think that he would. "and you felt nothing?" I asked him. "nothing. Not the sparks I feel with you, or the butterflies." he explains. He felt them too. I pulled him into a kiss. He was shocked at first but then moved into it. "I trust you." I pulled away and stared into his now bright eyes. He smiled and pulled me into a hug. "That reminds me." he said after pulling away from the hug. I looked up at him confused. He pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket and handed it to me. "Your birthday gift.." he trailed off and nodded at me to open it. I ran my finger across the top and opened the letter. I pulled out a plane ticket. My eyes widened. "California?!" I looked up with my wide eyes. He just chuckled and nods. "will you come with me?" He asked grabbing ahold of my hand. I nodded quickly. "Joe Thank you so much! I don't know what to say." I exclaimed. "How about you don't say anything and just kiss me." he replied standing up and pulling me up with him. With his arms wrapped around my waist and mine around his neck I tip toed up and place my lips delicately onto his. I let everything slip away. All my worries and problems. I just wanted to live in this moment, because these are the moments that make me happy.