Chapter 25 - Star Squad

I saw a familiar figure in the crowd after I had a gotten of the aircraft minutes before, and tapped Gale on the shoulder.

"Is that Katniss?"

"Can't be, she's healing in 13," He shook his head, going back to sorting out supplies. I took his arm and turned him around so he could see the person I was looking at, he squinted to get a clearer vision, "Oh, that is Catnip."

I dragged his arm and we pushed through the crowd towards our friend.

"Hey. Thought you were in the hospital," Gale said, wrapping his arms around her.

"I was," She replied, and I then pulled her into a hug.

"You're still meant to be, I should know, I was your nurse for a couple weeks," I shook my head.

"Come on," Gale said, and guided us inside, and Katniss away from staring eyes.

*****

I stood in the crowd, with the other members of the rebellion who had tracker dogs for the cause, looking up at Commander Paylor, who stood giving a mass briefing and speech to everyone.

"I'm Commander Paylor of District 8. I'm a soldier, like all of you, so here's what I know. For the first time in our lifetimes, we're standing together with 13 districts. From what I see. here, we've already made history," Her voice rang clearly throughout the crowd, bringing a sense of calm over the rebels before an attempt at taking the Capitol, "But history doesn't stop to celebrate. And we're facing an enemy that will not change and will never surrender. President Snow has
pulled back Peacekeepers to fortify the center of the city. He's evacuating residents from the outer blocks."

I heard a shaky breath next to me, and I looked to see someone I recognised from around District 13 with their hand wrapped tightly around their dog's lead, knuckles turning white.

"You okay?" I whispered, leaning over slightly to know I was talking to them, Commander Paylor going about the civilians and our orders to not harm them.

He looked up at me, and realised that this was someone younger than me, and I was only 17, turning 18 soon. This kid looked like he had only just looked like he had turned 16, "Just nervous, you know?"

"I get that, and I think they can sense it too," I gestured to both our dogs.

"At least I'll have her with me," He shrugged, looking down at his pup, "Keep me company. This is Petal."

"This is Jasper," I looked down to the border collie at my feet, who's head turned to look at me upon hearing his name.

Someone told us to be quiet, and we both turned our attention back to Commander Paylor, "-a minefield of traps and lethal devices called 'pods.'
The sadistic inventions of Gamemakers meant to make sport of our deaths. If our armies make it past
Peacekeepers and other defenses, we'll converge in the center of the city at Snow's mansion, where we won't just unlock his gates, but unshackle all of Panem. If we die, let it be for a
cause and not a spectacle. If we succeed, let it be for all of Panem, and let it be forever. Yes, you've already
made history. But the future, our future, starts tomorrow at dawn,
when we march together into The Capitol."

*****

Sitting in my tent, I read the latest letter that Axel had sent me, Jasper's head resting on my knee. I sighed, holding the letter close to my chest before folding it back up and putting it in my pocket. Looking out of my shelter that I had been sharing with Corporal Holmes, and I saw Katniss and Gale conversing, planning, sparing me a few glances, or more specifically, the black and white dog by my side.