Chapter 11: The Grand Prison

I didn't understand why Quackity wanted to give us orders before he left onto the train. He could have told us hours before but I've only known Quackity for two weeks.

"Okay, I'm going to be gone for most of the weekend, I need you all to focus on making sure the kingdom doesn't go into ruin while I'm gone," Quackity said. He never elaborated on what he was planning. "I've given Sam a list of things you should all get done before I return. I promise they're not all difficult tasks."

"Uh, Quackity, building a new casino in two days is quite impossible," Foolish said when Sam handed him the list. "And cleaning every single street."

"Can't be that difficult!" Slimecicle exclaimed, grabbing the list. "We'll get them done, Mr. Quackity, sir!"

"Haha, thank you Slime," Quackity nodded. "Why can't the rest of you be like him?"

Everyone groaned in annoyance, Slimecicle was way too energetic, none of us could match his energy.

"Make sure to not blow the kingdom up while I'm gone," Quackity said, he glared at all of us before hopping onto the train. The use of TNT had been outlawed throughout all the kingdoms ever since the L'Manberg war. Everyone knew the destruction it caused.

"We won't," Sam reassured Quackity, even though he was already gone. "We spent so much time developing and building this entire place anyway, why would we destroy it?"

"I would cry if this entire train station got blown up," Foolish admitted. "The number of resources it took... The amount of effort I put into it... I would never recover."

We all laughed at Foolish, who didn't seem to understand why we were laughing. It reminded me of how I trained my entire life to fight with a sword but moved here to get away from it all. What was the point? Should I be the one crying because I wasted so many years of training?

"Okay, let's get this on the roll then," Sam took back the list and began walking up the stairs to the main station area. "Let's make it interesting, we all pick a random one on the list. It's a lot more fun than going down the list normally."

"It would be the most unorganized thing ever," Fundy said. "I'm in!"

"Me first, me first!" I said, excited to start. "Uh, do I close my eyes and pick?"

"Yup," Sam held up the list to my face as I closed my eyes.

"Uhhhh," I dragged my finger down the piece of paper, debating when to stop.

"Hurry up, we have others who want a turn," I heard Fundy say, it was funny how inpatient he got.

"Okay, this one!" I stopped at one of the points and opened my eyes. "Clean... Quackity's office?!"

"Wait, what?" Sam turned the list and looked at it. "No way he put this here. That lazy ass."

"Next thing you know someone's going to get one where they buy him groceries or walk his dog," Foolish joked.

I was honestly hoping for tending his garden, mostly because I knew how to. Hannah taught me way back when everyone declined her offer to garden with her. She knows how to handle flowers with care.

The rest of the others choose their picks, another notable one being Sam needing to sweep every inch of Quackity's room. We all got super unlucky with the picks. Fundy needed to fix the manholes on the roads and Slimecicle needed to check if every lamp post was functioning properly. Foolish got let off the hook easily and just needed to check if the shipments from the other kingdoms arrived.

I exited the car and made my way up the elevator to Quackity's office. Slimecicle gave me a key to the office and I was beginning to feel uneasy at the whole thing. I didn't know how to clean anything! Let alone how Quackity liked things to be cleaned. What if I clean something wrong? Would he fire me?!

The elevator made a ding and I was returned to reality. I exited the elevator before picking up a broom from the janitor's closet nearby. Might as well start small by cleaning off the dust everywhere on the floor.

I entered the office and looked around. Holy shit. 

Everything was covered in dust and papers were thrown everywhere. Cups were left uncleaned and books had fallen off the shelf. No wonder that asshole put it on the list! He was too fucking lazy to do it himself! Seriously, what a mess.

I put the broom against a wall and began picking up papers on the ground. Some were filled with scribbles and others were filled with tax files and whatnot. Though, one stack of papers caught my eye. Information that was exported from the Grand Prison.

Quackity never told anyone his plans or what he was doing, everything he did was in secret. Can't blame a guy for being curious when everyone is hiding something. When Walli and I were sent to Simon's office I couldn't help myself from looking at all the books Simon was reading, despite Walli's protests. Didn't take Simon as a history buff but he had hundreds of books on the history of all the kingdoms.

This time it was a different case, maybe if I read about the whole thing I could help Quackity with whatever he's doing. He probably wouldn't be happy that I looked through his private work but maybe I could subtly help him!

I shuffled through the papers, quickly reading sentences on every paper.

Who the fuck is Dream?

What the hell is the Revival Book?

What did any of this have to do with Quackity?

I put the papers down on his desk, neatly stacking them inside of the destructive uneven tower. I needed to do more research on whatever the Revival Book was, it couldn't just be some fantasy novel Quackity and this Dream person read. Dream was in prison and Quackity needed the book from him.

Could I possibly tell the others about this book ordeal with Dream? Like me, Quackity didn't trust them enough with this information. They had a right to know too. But at the same time, I didn't want them to get in trouble for me being annoyingly curious. It wasn't them sneaking around his office and finding out his secrets.

I decided against the idea and went back to cleaning up the papers on the floor.

I need to find out more about the Revival Book after I finish cleaning.