Changes

As I was preparing for school, I got intrerupted by some yelling coming from the kitchen. I couldn't quite concentrate on it so I decided to head downstairs. "AND YOU'RE TELLING ME THAT YOU HAD EXTRA WORK 'TILL NOW?!" I heard Xandra scream. She was really mad. Right after that, a loud and sharp sound filled the room. "You don't get to decide what I do. You're nothing to me." As I was stepping on the last step of the stairs, the wood made a sound and the room went silent. Xandra's and Larry's eyes were now on me. I looked at Xandra and she had her hand holding her cheek. It took a moment for me to realize. That mother-

Larry cleared his throat. "S- sorry. Uh.. I need a ride to school." I finally broke the silence.

Larry and Xandra exchanged looks. None of them said anything. They both looked mad. "Actually.. I'm just gonna walk." I said with a nervous laugh. Xandra looked at Larry again, squeezing her eyes, but Larry didn't give up. The blonde woman scoffed and looked at me. "Fine. Get in the car! " Her voice wasn't as bad as I imagined. "Thank you!" I said with a little smile.

Xandra took her keys and went outside, not without slamming the door after her. I followed the woman and went into the car, sitting in the front seat next to her.

There was an awkward silence. She looked mad but in her eyes there was a small hint of saddness. I cleared my throat and looked at her. I studied her features for a moment. She was the prettiest woman I've ever seen. And my eyes traveled her face, I noticed a palm track on her right cheek. I looked into her eyes with saddness. I slowly brought my hand to her harmed cheek and she flinched. She firstly hesitated but then she closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. "Are you okay?" I asked. My voice was soft, almost like a whisper. Her eyes opened and I knew she was fighting her tears. I've never seen her like that. She took another deep breath and looked into my eyes, before nodding. I didn't buy that. I knew she was far by okay but I decided not to ask anything, thinking she wasn't comfortable.

I gave her a sad smile, but she didn't react. She turned on the car and started driving to school.

The day didn't even felt like passing by. The classes were boring like never before. I was overthinking about Xandra. Larry hit her. Was this the first time? And then I started overthinking how I'm overthinking about Xandra. Why do I even care..

Boris was nowhere to be found. I tried looking for him but my legs weren't listening to me. I felt exhausted.

In the lunch break I sat alone at a table, looking for Boris. I was so occupied by searching for him that I didn't even notice a redhead girl making her way to my table. "May I sit with you?" she asked me. I looked into her blue eyes for a moment, before slowly nodding. "I'm Anna. Nice to meet you." The girl gave me a grin. "I'm Ava." I smiled back. "What is a pretty girl like you doing here all by herself?" she asked me with a slight smirk on her face. I blushed at the compliment as I said "I'm waiting for my friend. He should be here." I told her. She looked at the clock from her wrist and said "Well it seems he isn't coming.. That means I have you all for myself." she winked at me.

"Would you like to eat some ice cream after class?" Anna asked me. "Sure." I smiled. I couldn't say no to an ice cream.

As planned, me and Anna went to the ice cream shop. Anna was actually nice and sweet. I believe she could be a good friend. "So.. Are you new here? I haven't seen you before." I asked her. "No, actually. I've been here in Las Vegas for 16 years." she said. "Oh." I said a little embaressed. She just chuckled and said "It's OK. How about you? Are you new?" "Yes. I've just moved in here with my mom. She's now in Florida with work." I told her. She hummed.

A few hours passed by and when it was the time for me and Anna to leave, we sadly said goodbye and left.

At Xandra's house, I was met by a really mad blonde woman. "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!" Her eyes were filled with flames of anger and her whole body was boiling.  "I- I went out with a friend." I said. Fear was hidden into my body. I wasn't used to people yelling at me. No one ever did besides my father. It brought back the bad memories with him. "YOU SHOULD'VE TOLD ME. I WORRIED FOR NOTHING." I stared at her as my heart started to ache a little. I just looked into her eyes and after a while I said "I'm sorry." My voice was soft and trembly. As she heard me, her face seemed to soften. She sighed and said "It's okay. Next time tell me." I nodded with tears into my eyes. Don't you dare cry. Don't! Apparently, my eyes weren't listening to me. A tear rolled down my face, followed by another one. I quickly ran upstairs into my room, not wanting Xandra to see me cry and think that I'm a coward.

Once I entered the room, I let it all out. I was shaking and everything was blurry because of the tears.

Soon after that, I heard Xandra's voice calling me from downstairs to eat. I slowly made my way towards the kitchen and noticed Larry sitting at the table. I cleared my troath and went to Xandra. "Need any help?" I asked. "No." she said in a stern voice. I just turned around and sat as far as possible from Larry. After a while, Xandra gave us the plates with food and sat down next to me, avoiding any eye contact with Larry. Her knees slowly touched mine and I couldn't ignore the warm and fuzzy feeling from inside my stomach. Stop! You have no rights to feel that. She would never look at a child like you.

To my surprise, Xandra didn't do any move. Her knees were still in the same place and stood like that for the rest of the dinner.

Later that night, as I was laying in my bed, I heard how something hit my window. I stood up and looked outside. As I did so, I noticed a tall figure with curly hair waving at me. Boris.. I opened the window and he climbed all the way up.

"Boris, I- where have you been? I looked for you everywhere." I told him. "Erm.. Long story. I just wanted to check on you." He said. "Well, I'm fine. But are you fine?" I asked. "Uh.. Yea. Of course." I didn't buy that. I rised both of my eyebrows and stared at him. He let out a nervous chuckle before saying "I'm totally fine. I should leave before Xandra sees me in here. Also I'll be missing school for a while so don't worry about me!" and with that he left the room, leaving me in nothing but confusion.

What's going on with him?...

__________________________________________________________

I'm truly sorry for being so inactive. I promise I'll be updating more in my summer break.

~Thanks for reading❤️