Compliment

I loved it there. Everything was perfect. Lucy, the nice lady that showed me the way to the boss's office, was so funny. We laugh every day at silly things. The last few weeks I've learned so many new stuff. Not only did I learn how to bake delicious cakes, I also learned how to decorate them. My boss was the nicest man I've ever met. He would make silly jokes all around and also help me and the other employeers in the kitchen.

It was wednesday and it was almost the end of my shift at Martin's, the pastry cook. I was arranging the cakes as I waited for people to come and buy something. As I got on the lowest shelf, I heard the dorbell ring "Just a second!" I said as I arranged the last cake. When I turned around I was left speechless.

"Ava?" the woman spoke. "Hi.. Uh, yes." I answered awkwardly. I haven't seen Xandra for a long time. It was weird to see her then, for no reason. "What are you doing here?" I could hear the astonishment in her voice. "I- I work here." I answered. Xandra hummed, eyeing me up and down, and I couldn't help the blush that was creeping on my face. Even though, I didn't want to admit it at the moment, the woman looked like a real goddess. I noticed how her hair was a few inches shorter and the way her eyes were glistening under the yellow light of the bulbs..

I cleared my throat. "W-well. How can I help you?" Nervous. That's how I felt under her gaze. "A takeaway coffee and a strawberry cake." she said. I noted it down and gave the note to Lucy. "Anything else?" she looked deep into my eyes, shaking her head. "Ok.. It will be done in a few minutes."

"How's Mellissa?" she asked. "Good.. I mean, she's left for work." I answered. The woman nodded. Come on.. Think of something. "I like your hair.. It looks good" I said, trying to fill the silence. Xandra rised one of her eyebrows. "Not that it didn't look good before.. It was pretty.. I mean- it- it's pretty now too! You would look good in anything." I mentally slapped myself. Hard. Me eyes explored her face, carefully, looking for any kind of emotion. There was a slight smirk on her face. Before I could say anything else, Lucy came with the food. "There you go." she put it on the counter, before leaving back in the kitchen. "Thanks." was all Xandra mumbled before she paid and left. Did she thank me for the compliment or for the food.. I wondered. Of course she thanked you for the food, you idiot. You literally failed to give her a goddamn compliment.

I sighed as I finished arranging the halloween decorations. I turned back to see Mr Brown, my boss, giving me a smile. "You can go home now." he told me. "Thanks, sir." he nodded. "You can call me Martin."...