Bad News

It was saturday. My mom forced me to go have dinner with her, Xandra and Larry. Apparently, Xandra had something really important to tell my mom, so she invited her over. I was scared but excited to see Xandra again. Last time I've seen her was three weeks ago, on my graduation day.

"Mom, she invited you not me!" I told my mom. "Ava! Don't be silly. You're coming with me." I mentally rolled my eyes and went to my room so I can dress up. I put on a short dress with small floral prints on it and some jewellery. After I brushed my dark hair and put on some make up, I got into the car and my mom started to drive.

When we pulled in the front of Xandra's house, I had to remind myself how to breathe. I could feel my heart almost jumping out of my chest as my mom knocked on the wooden door and Xandra appeared right after a few seconds. She looked.. Pretty. She was wearing some skinny jeans on and a short, red top that looked amazing on her. Her hair seemed to be a darker shade than its usual color.

The blonde woman pulled my mom into a quick hug and as she pulled away she looked at me. Oh, how I wished I could've read her mind in that moment. I smiled nervously and entered the house.

Me, my mom and Xandra were sat at a table into the kitchen. "Where's Larry?" mom asked. "Upstairs.. He should be here in a few minutes." My mother nodded and kept talking with Xandra. I couldn't move my gaze away from the blonde woman. The way her lips were moving as she was talking with my mom.. Everything about her seemed perfect. Suddently, her eyes moved to me. I panicked so I stared at my plate. Seconds after, when I looked back at Xandra, I noticed she was still looking at me. I got up from the table and made my way to the bathroom before excusing myself.

When I got upstairs, I could hear a muffled voice coming from Xandra's bedroom. I got closer to the door and listened carefully. "I'm sorry, babe... Yes.. See you tomorow." Then, I heard footsteps so I hid into the bathroom as fast as possible.

I waited a while to process everything.. Larry was cheating on Xandra.. How- why- What should I do? I should tell Xandra..

I made my way back downstairs. Larry stared at me with a hint of shockness in his eyes. I gave him a death stare as I sat down at the table. I started to angrily eat my pasta. He doesn't deserve her. That cheater doesn't deserve anything. Without realizing, my hand wrapped tightly around the fork, leaving a noticeable mark. "Sweetie, are you okay?" my mom asked. I looked at her confused then took a deep breath and nodded as I let go of my fork.

We were all eating. My mom and Xandra would have small talks as Larry stared intensely at me. I looked at him with rage. I hoped he could see the flames from my eyes, because I totally felt them.

"So.." Xandra started. "I invited you over because we have something to tell you.."

"We're getting married." she added. I froze. I wished more than anything to be dreaming in that moment. Larry wrapped his arm around Xandra's shoulders and she looked at him with a look that made my heart ache. No... I was fighting my tears badly. I didn't want to cry in front of them.

"Oh my God! Congrats!!" my mom exclaimed happily and pulled Xandra into a hug. I put on the best forced smiled I could do in that moment. My eyes were filled with tears but I didn't let them fall.

Larry went outside for a cigarette. My mom and Xandra were talking about the wedding and I was just sitting there at the table staring at a boring painting on the wall. I didn't dare to blink too many times. I knew that if I would've done that it would allow my tears to fall. I felt a pain in the back of my throat and my heart felt like it wasn't doing its normal job anymore. Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! There was nothing that I wished more than going home. But it seemed like that wouldn't happen any soon. My mom and Xandra were so caught up with the wedding conversation that it seemed impossible to interrupt them.

Larry is cheating on Xandra.. But if I tell her right now she wouldn't believe me. It was true. Xandra was too 'in love' to realize how toxic her relationship with Larry was.

"Ava!" my mom said. I looked confused at her. "I asked you if you're alright." she said. I forced myself to smile. "Yeah.. I'm just a little tired." my mom waited a while before saying "You can go home.. Xandra could give you a ride. I had some alcohol and me and Xandra still have a lot to talk about."

I mentally rolled my eyes. Great.

I got into Xandra's car. I could feel her gaze piercing holes into my face. I didn't look at her. The whole ride home was quiet. Not even a single word was spoken. As she pulled in the front of my house I finally looked at her and said. "Congrats on your marriage by the way."

With that, I got out from the car and rushed my way inside the house before finally breaking down. I let everything out. The hot tears were streaming down my face and my sobs were filling the whole silent house. I cried and cried for hours, until I felt like I had no more tears left. I took my phone out and texed Anna.

Me: Pls come over? And bring some alcohol too.

Anna: On my way.

After like half an hour, I heard the doorbell ring. I made my way to the door and, as I expected, Anna was sat in front of it with some alcohol and ice cream. She looked at me worried. "Ava.. What happened? Are you okay?"

I exploded. Tears were streaming on my face again and I cried loud as Anna pulled me into her embrace. "She- she and Larry are getting married." I said between sobs. Anna hugged me even tightly. "I'm sorry.. Let's lay down." the redhead said. We went to my room where we laid on the bed. I was crying my eyes out and Anna was embracing me the whole time.