Bailed

Halloween was close. Every shop in the town was decorated with pumpkins and different creepy decorations. Kids and teenagers were on their way to buy costumes so they could go trick or treating. I knew that because I was on my way to the park, where I was supposed to meet Anna and Boris. We wanted to buy snacks because we were going to spend halloween together.

The atmosphere was nice in the park. There were lots of children chasing eachother and the trees were decorated with fake spider web. On the benches, you could also see stickers with pumpkins and spiders. It looked pretty.

Out of blue, I feel how something jumps on my leg. I look down and notice a white, puffy dog. I knew that dog very well. I bend over and pet the dog. "Hi, buddy." Popper started to jump in circles as he followed his own tail. "Where's your mommy?" I asked. He just barked a few times. I picked him up and started to look around. There were so signs of Xandra so I followed the path that Popper came from.

I walked and walked for fifteen minutes straight and there were still no signs of the woman. "I guess I'll have to take you to your home by myself." I sighed. A few seconds later, I saw Anna and Boris entering the park. "Hey!" I said. "Ready to go buy snacks?" I asked. They both looked into my eyes without any emotion. "Guys?" I looked at them. "Are you- Oh my God!" A dark liquid started to come out of their mouth. Blood. I froze. Their lips curved up into an evil smile. I could see their teeth covered in blood. "What the-"

"Nice coat." Anna said and they both came back to normal, acting as if nothing happened. I realized I've been pranked as I heard them laugh uncontrollably. "Not funny." I said smiling at the idiots. "You.. Should have seen.. Your face." Boris said between laughs. "Ha-ha" I laughed sarcastically. "Are you- Oh my God!" Anna mocked me. I rised my eyebrows. "Come on. You must admit that was pretty funny." she added while giggling. I chuckled. "You are a burden." I rolled my eyes and smiled. "Let's go buy snacks now." I said.

"Yea.. About that" Boris started. I looked between him and Anna. "I can't come on halloween... My dad's coming back home." he said. "Me neither.. I gotta visit my grandma at the hospital." Anna sighed. "Oh.. Is she okay?" I asked. "Not really she's been feeling weak lately."

"I'm sorry." Popper wiggled his tail. "Still, can't believe you're bailing on me." I touched my chest, dramatically.

We chatted for a while longer before Anna and Boris had to go. As they left I looked at Popper. "Let's get you home." I said.

***

There I was, waiting in the front of Xandra's door. I couldn't help but wonder why did I felt so nervous. My heart was about to jump out of my chest. It might sound weird, but deep down I wished she didn't answer the door for some reason. Suddently, the door opens wide. The woman eyed me up and down. "There he was. I've been looking for this rat for hours." she said. "Oh.. I- I found him in the park." I said, playing with my fingers. The woman didn't say anything, but she hummed instead. I looked into her eyes. She was staring at my clothes. 'Is there something wrong with them?' I wondered. As I cleared my throat, her eyes met mine.

"Wanna come in?" she asked. "Uh.. Yea, sure." Popper followed us inside.

I sat on the soft couch looking at the clock. Xandra sat next to me, a few inches away. "So.. Do you have any plans for next week?" I looked at her, studying her features. Her perfect nose, her dark eyes, her lips.. "Am I supposed to have any plans?" she rised one of her eyebrows. "Well.. Basically. Since it's halloween." she squeezed her eyes. "No, I don't." she said. "Oh.."

"Do you have any plans?" she asked me. "N-not really. I was supposed to meet Anna and Boris, but they.. They're busy." I answered. There was a sharp silence between us. She took out a cigarette from her pocket and lit it up.

"Wanna- Do you want to join me on Halloween?" her eyes meet mine again. She brought the cigarette to her lips and inhaled the smoke, not seeming impressed. I looked down to the floor and let out a sigh as I started to let the intrusive thoughts win. 'Why did I even ask her? If my bestfriend's child would ask me that I would've refused too.'

Suddently, I feel how two fingers rose my chin up. She moved my head so I was facing her. I looked at every part of her face and I could swear she had on a slight smirk. "Fine"...