Thanksgiving

Work wasn't the same. Waking up in the morning to go there wasn't fun anymore. It all changed when Joy came. He would do weird things like winking and staring at me and different parts of my body. It made me feel disgusted. The worst part of it was that I didn't want to let Martin know. Everytime I told myself that I should tell the old man, I remembered the happy look on his face the day he found out that his family contacted him. I just couldn't bring myself to break his heart.

It was Thanksgiving day. I had no one to spent the day with. My mother was supposed to come back in a week and my two friends, Anna and Boris, well.. They changed. Anna became more of a popular-influencer girl. She had lots of more friends and they all partied a lot. Not to mention the fact that Anna's voice went an octave higher whenever she spoke to people, thing that made me want to rip off my ears. I didn't hate her. I hated the fact that she wasn't like she was before. And Boris.. He left me on seen a few days after the Halloween party.

So as I laid on my bed I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before exhaling it slowly, thinking that it was going to help me sleep. It didn't. My mind filled with hundreds of thoughts the moment I inhaled the second time. Unsurprisingly, Xandra was in some of them. I was wondering what she was doing in the moment. Was she spending Thanksgiving with her friends? Or was she sitting at home by herself just like I was. I guess there's only one way to find out. I thought to myself.

After I put on a nice outfit and left on the front door, I made my way to her. The cold November air made my body tremble a little. I was glad the winter was coming though.

I knocked three times on Xandra's door before taking a step backwards, waiting for the woman to open the door. The doorknob moved and no longer after, Xandra was in front of me, quickly staring at me up and down before looking into my eyes. "What are you doing here?" Xandra asked on a low voice. I couldn't read her. "Just wanted to visit you." I answered. She stared at me not saying anything. "Well? Are you gonna invite me in or not?" I pressed my lips together. Xandra stepped aside, opening the door wider. As I walked inside the house, I could sense a delicious smell of food. "Oh God.. This smells amazing." I closed my eyes, enjoying the smell. I walked into the living room only to be left surprised.

A man. There was a man sitting on Xandra's chair. I furrowed my eyebrows. Who's this? I just stood there frozen. "Who are you?!" I asked. "I'm John." the guy said. He smiled a little. John.. Is he.. Is he Xandra's date. Right in that moment, Xandra joined the room. She looked between me and John.

I didn't know how I felt. I was sad.. I mean.. Yes, Xandra was allowed to date since she was not in a relationship with anyone and I knew that very well. But it didn't stop me from feeling a weird emotion. Something I've never felt before. I was dissapointed but my blood was running through my veins. I felt a lot of adrenaline in that moment. Jealousy. That's what I felt.

"John, this is my.. My friend's daughter, Ava." Xandra said, before taking one of her cigarettes out of her pocket. John gave me another smile "Nice to meet you." he said. I squeezed my eyes at him and didn't say a word. It was quite awkward but did I have time to think about that? Nope. I was way too busy staring at the man. Almost as if I stared at him too much I would find out all of his darkest secrets.

When Xandra got up from her chair and went to the kitchen, I followed her. Standing next to the kitchen counter, I stared at her. She was with her back facing me and when she leaned down for the oven I couldn't help but stare. I felt how my blood rushed up to my cheeks. As Xandra tured around and placed the chicken on the counter, she looked at me and slightly smirked. As she took a knife she looked again at me. "What?" she asked. I just stared into her eyes for a while. "Are you gonna say anything?" the blonde rose one of her eyebrows. "I don't like him." I said. Xandra furrowed her eyebrows. "Why would I care if you like him or not?" I just rolled my eyes and shrugged. Staring at the small souvenirs from the fridge. She walked closer and closer to me with an evil smile on. "Are you.. Jealous?" Xandra suddently asked. I panicked. "W-what? Jealous on what? I'm not!" I said. Xandra just shrugged and took the chicken leaving the kitchen. Jealous.. I scoffed. I'm not jealous on John.

Making my way back to the living room, I eyed John. He's not even hot..

After 7 pm, the guy had to finally leave and after Xandra led him outside, she came back in looking at me. "What?!" I said. She shrugged, pouring me a glass of wine. "You shouldn't give a 19 year old alcohol." I said. The older woman hummed. "It's not like I didn't see you drink votka at my work." she said. I just smiled.

We somehow ended up on her couch, watching a truly boring movie on the TV. We weren't really watching it since we were talking and laughing about random things. I blamed it on the alcohol, but I shifted closer to Xandra and laid my head on her shoulder. She didn't move at all.