Chapter Eleven; "Go team"

You held out your hand to stop Minho from zooming around the corner. Pushing him against the wall behind you while you peeked around to get a look in the hallways.

You were close, right on one's tail and you could see it, see one of its ugly legs sticking around the corner at the end of the hall.

"I found the slimy sucker," You said.

Minho elbowed you out of the way so he could see too, "Okay, what now?"

"Just watch," You took a rock that you used to mark the path you took from the glade and threw it as far as you could, hearing it hit the ground and echo around.

You ducked back around and shoved him with you, both of your backs against the wall as you heard the thing scuttle to the sound.

"This is the plan," You whispered, handing him the griever walkie talkie, "I turn the corner and you immediately press that, I will throw rock at it until it roars then you run and hold onto that recording with your life because if you drop it I will drop a bomb on you in your sleep."

"Noted," He said, but gripped your hand before you could run out, "Are you sure you don't want to switch roles? I might have the better arm."

You wrinkled your nose at him and handed him the recorder, "Cute. Be ready."

He nodded and let you go, watching you get a rock ready in your hand, taking a breath and stepping out to the scuttling steps of the griever. You didn't even look to see if it was looking at you, just lodged the rock in its direction and let out a loud cackle at the sound it made.

The griever turned and you hoped Minho pressed the record button because it was only twenty feet away and the sound it made sent a chill down your spine and shot back into your throat.

It was horrible from far away but from up close it sounded like screams of pain and terror and rusty gears grinding against eachother. The sound made you go ridgid, unable to move a muscle, locked in place.

Minho was the one to drag you out of the way as the griever rolled right over the spot you stood, crashing into the wall and getting its disgusting spikes stuck in the wall.

"Run," You said, then louder when Minho stayed put, "RUN!"

You both sprinted, Minho grasping the griever walkie talkie with his life.

From behind you could hear the griever had gotten itself unstuck and let out another blood curdling screech, the sound of it rolling at top speed right at the two of you.

You grasped Minho arm and pulled him left, the griever bouncing off the wall this time and still rolling faster than you could run. You had the rocks, you watched the ground for the rocks and you knew it was this way but the second you looked up and turned to follow the trail it was left in a dead end.

"What the-" Minho began to pant but was sent crashing sideways by the wall to your right spinning to open up a new corridor.

The maze was changing.

"Oh shuck me," You hissed, sprinting forward and grabbing the griever walkie talkie that flew from Minho's hands when he fell. When you turned around, though, it was just you.

Just as another curse ran past your lips the griever made its way around the corner and all you could do was scuttle back until your back hit the dead end.

You worked at the recorder, pulling open the cover that hid the repeat button, praying Minho did it right. The griever unfurled its legs, setting its target.