Chapter Sixty; "A walking time bomb"

Never once could any of you stop running, you kept a hold of Newt's hand, helping him run faster with his limp. You needed to fix the brace and soon, no one could afford for him to get into an accident because of it.

     You sprinted through hallways, dimly lit tunnels, up staircases in the same endless loop for ages. Several times you had found yourself glancing around the group for Chuck, frantic for only a few moments when he wasn't there before it sunk in all over again. You hoped it would stop soon, to skip grief and just move to acceptance. Or maybe, if you were lucky enough, it would all fade away and be left with nothing at all.

     You had heard that it felt better than mourning, feeling nothing at all.

     Finally another pair of glass double doors came into view, being held open by men and women who wore ragged clothes and looked just as worn out as the man who you first met. They looked nothing like the clean and tidy murderer, with her white button up shirt that was now imprinted with red.

     Rain came pelting on your head, real rain. There was never any downfall in the glade. The sky was back, covered in dark clouds. Your clothes were soaked almost instantly and you despised being in this rain immediately. You couldn't see a thing.

     You pulled the gun from your belt holding it at the ready as if you had any clue how to properly fire it. You were prepared to learn extremely quickly if you needed to.

     No one stopped moving until the middle aged man at the lead opened the doors of a bus and shouted for them to get in. It was hard to hear over the rain.

     You stood behind Newt, pushing him forward onto the bus and nearly slipping on the wet ground. Your hands gripped the side of the bus to stay steady, still outside in the rain.

     There was a shrill shriek in the dark, making you stumble forward and onto the ground merely a few feet away from Thomas who was pinned by a horrifying disfigured woman. With every flash of lightning, her appearance only got worse.

     "Gonna save us!" You heard her scream to him, grasping around his throat.

     Without a second thought, you fired a bullet to her head, watching her slump over dead just like Chuck had done.

     Thomas frantically got to his feet, nearly stepping on you in the process.

     "Go!" A woman yelled, "Hurry up!"

     She yanked at your collar to make you stand, shoving the two of you into the bus and she followed seconds later.

     You saw a hand stick in between the bus doors and you weren't the only one that fired now, two or three bullets pelted a man's chest. You got a good look at his face, one eye gouged out, a fat lip with chunks of hair ripped off. It looked like a core hunk of skin tore off with it.

    The doors shut, people pounding on them as we drove off, speeding without a second to waste.

     You breathed in and out unevenly, coughing from the run. Adrenaline still froze you to the spot, staring at the door with a gaping mouth.

     "Get on a seat!" The driver snapped.

     "Lay off!" Minho yelled back, pulling you up and bringing you to sit far in the back with a woman you hadn't met.

     The gun slipped from your hand, rigged into Minho's lap and he holstered it for you while you coughed raggedly.

     It took a few minutes of draining your water supply, and a short snack for you to lean back in your chair comfortably. You could look around now, survey the horribly lit vehicle.