Chapter Thirty Eight; "Deal"

"We've been working and we finally got it all," Newt said when you entered the weapons room, "It doesn't make any freaking sense but we have it."

     "It has to make some sense, let me-" You were cut off by the shrill shriek of your name and Chuck running into your middle, hugging you.

     You nearly fell over with the unexpected impact but stayed standing, patting Chuck in the back.

     "Did you find anything in the maze?!" He questioned excitedly.

     You smiled at him despite the rather unfortunate answer, "No but I figured we wouldn't, we have everything we need right here."

     He shuffled to the side and you walked forward, holding on to Chuck's little hands while you looked over the words that were everyone's only hope.

     And these magic words were. Float, catch, bleed, death, stiff, push.

     You felt everything dwindle inside you, your mouth dropping open with shock at how utterly useless they were.

     "What the f-" You cut yourself off, remembering Chuck was in the room and watching your reaction proudly. You cleared your throat and added more of a peppiness to your tone, "I mean- What the shuck is this!"

     Chuck smiled and you saw Newt scratch the back of his head, knowing he thought the same as you. Teresa sighed tiredly with a confused shrug, going back to work. The two others in the room were dozing off where they sat, they looked practically dead.

     "It has its own system where the maze repeats the words in that order, goes silent for a week, then starts up again," Teresa explained, "We definitely got it right."

     "I helped a lot!" Chuck pitched in.

     "He did," Teresa agreed, "At least he could cut paper straight unlike some people in the room."

     She looked pointedly at Newt and the two boys, Newt huffed at her.

     "I could live without your sarcasm thank you very much," He told her.

     She ignored him, "It would help if that runner guy was here, he seems to know the maze inside out."

     "There are-like- forty running guys. You're going to need to specify," You prompted.

     "The buff sassy one," She snapped her fingers when she remembered something, "You know, the one that has a thing with you."

     "That's Minho," You informed, "-not that we have a thing, because we don't."

     She shrugged, "Not my love life, just saying it would be better if he was here to figure this stuff out."

     "Sure, Newt can go get him, he's brooding."

     "Like bloody hell I'm dealing with that hot head right now, I'm going to go see if Tommy knows anything about the words," He smirked, "You go have fun talking to him though, yeah?"

     "Y/n! Come eat breakfast instead!" Chuck offered, tugging at your hand, "I already had to eat alone yesterday and it was boring!"

     "How about I meet you for lunch?" You suggested instead, "Because right now I am soaked to the bone in sweat, I smell, and I have to talk to a pouting teenager. Do I still have to take him down to the bunker?"

     "Yes you do," Newt replied.

     "Wonderful," You rolled your eyes but turned back to Chuck, "At lunch, I'm all yours and you can talk up a storm. Good that?"

     "Good that!" He smiled wide.

     You gave your best attempt at a smile while you walked out of the room, scowling when your back was turned to them. Stupid god damn creators.

     Creators- creators!

     You felt yourself stop outside the weapons shed, clutching your middle. How the hell was it possible to space the deal that meant Chuck and Newt got to live? You had gone out in the maze, directly going against a rule and you were definitely not ignoring what was going on.

     You had broken your deal. Newt and Chuck aren't safe anymore. Their deaths would be on you.