Chapter Thirty Two; "Little man"

The boy certainly was hungry, he ate through most of the small snacks you had, taking a fondness to your crackers. He sat on your bed while you rolled back and forth in your chair, explaining the glade to him.

     You liked him, you didn't know why but having him around made your mind open up. When he first walked in you opened the curtains to bring in light, wanting the room above to seem welcoming although it wasn't the cleanest. Right now you would be willing to get work done, as if just having someone else in the room centered your focus.

     It wasn't just that though, he seemed so ready to talk and ask questions. He was curious, even though he looked exhausted, energetic to match. He reminded you of- well- a kid, how a kid should be. Curious, energetic, unburdened. He wouldn't have to worry about being in a death maze, not if you were here to make sure he stayed safely in the walls.

     Something about the fact that a kid like him was sent to a place like this made your blood boil. Someone would be looking in on everyone, watching the kid get traumatized here. You wanted to spite them, make sure they could get nothing from his mind for whatever twisted plan they were trying to play out.

     Maybe you wished you could have done that for yourself or had someone that did that with you when you first came here.

     You played the radio softly and let him fall asleep, laying curled up on your bed with the blankets tucked up to his chin. He didn't mind the little fuzzy static sound around the music, and seemed to even lull him deeper into sleep.

     You made a point to be quiet, sitting quietly while working on assignments Alby gave you, trying to tidy up the room in the meantime so you didn't knock something over and wake the boy up.

     You hated to say it but you had forgotten his name, completely spaced it. Instead you had addressed him as "little man", because he was quite literally a little man. You would subtly ask for his name again later, then would make note of it so you wouldn't forget.

     You jumped when the quiet room was interrupted with the aggressive stomping above you, the hatch shaking with the force. You were up in a flash, plugging in the microphone to talk to whoever was making the racket.

     "Shut up, you rat brained floozy!" You hissed quietly into the microphone. To your relief the stomping stopped, looking over at the little man to make sure he was still sound asleep.

     "Y/N WHAT IN THE SHUCK DID YOU DO WITH THE GREENIE YOU PSYCHOPATHIC PIECE OF-"

     You unplugged the communication system, cutting Nick's hollers off short. The boy stirred restlessly and you rolled over to pat his shoulder.

     "Go back to sleep bud, you're safe here," You assured him, waiting until he drifted off soundly again to go and address Nick.

     From where you stood underground you could faintly hear him yelling like a toddler throwing a fit, screaming at you to get out there. You did, letting down the hatch when he had quieted down, walking up the stairs and shoving him into a table when he tried to storm down. You made sure to close the hatch tight, standing in front of it.

     "What do you want?" You bit at him harshly, feeling too wound up to put up with him.

     He stepped to you, jabbing a finger at your chest, "I know you have the boy! Someone saw you take him here! Where is he?! You can't take greenies who know nothing about this place!"

     "I explained most of the glade to him, he's wrapped his head around it better then most have," You surprised yourself with how well you managed your tone, noticing Newt and Alby making an appearance in the room now too.