Chapter Sixteen; "Self destruct"

Just as the dull grey slammer became pitch black, the door swung open and you quickly pocketed the steak knife before baggers took you and Minho to the council room.

You could tell Minho hadn't been here before by the cute furrow of his brow, the curiosity as he looked around. He was observing, always observing. You took your time to wave at a few of the people there, whether sarcastically or pleasantly you got your desired responses.

They sat you down in two tall chairs and you got comfortable, slipping the knife up your sleeve for safe keeping.

You saw Newt sitting in the front, Gally somewhere in the back and Frypan beside him. Newt looked at you and you raised an eyebrow questioningly. He just nodded once and looked back to good old Nick and Alby who stood in the middle of the room like some saints.

"How much trouble would I be in if I stabbed him?" You said very quietly to Minho, "Like, just a bit."

His lips turned up in a barely suppressed smile, "I hold, you punch."

You snickered.

"Y/n, something funny?" Nick asked.

You opened your mouth to retort with a klunk eating grin but Newt quickly cut you off, "No, no, Y/n has nothing to say, nothing is funny. Y/n will shut their mouth."

He gave you a pointed look and you made a cheeky gesture of zipping your lips shut. You could see the look of pure regret for this situation cross his face as he shakes his head.

"Alright keepers," Nick begins, "If you hadn't known already we are here to talk about the newbie and Y/n's trip through the maze. Nothing much to say, they broke one of our number one rules, the punishment is banishment for both of them but from what I've heard there is some form of defense that wants to be made. Lucky for you, Alby wants to hear, so go ahead and say whatever you want to say."

You stood up and Minho automatically followed, standing right behind you with crossed arms.

"Hey, again," You said, giving a little awkward wave to fill the dead silence, "So, uh."

You cough and clear your throat, going with the facts you knew best.

You pull the griever recorder from your bag and hold it up for everyone to see, "In the last three days Minho has helped me finish this, a device that is used to record sounds and frequencies so I could mimic them on similar devices. The sole purpose of this was to be able to go out into the maze, record a griever call, and test out my theory of whether or not this would affect the creature's behavior. In short, it did, the griever stopped mid attack and responded to the call with its own. I was right. This could allow us to be able to safely explore the maze without worrying so much about the deadly monster things."

You finished and waited.

Alby was the first to speak, "How did you record the griever?"

"I didn't, Minho did while I pissed it off. It responded, we got away and found a lot of interesting things in that maze. Things that could lead to our escape," You answered.

"So you want us to go out there and risk our butts and hope that you're right?" Someone instantly protested.

"Uh, I am right, excuse you."

"Y/n was cornered by a griever," Minho added, "If the thing didn't work then why are they still alive?"

"Coincidence?"