Chapter 1: The First Move

hawkins, 1983

Hearing the sound of the outdoors was probably the only thing keeping her sane that day. She wasn't feeling up to anything. She felt so weak, so tired, in so much pain.

It has only been a week since her family's funeral. Missouri's government had to take her to Hawkins, Indiana. It was a long drive, but it'll have to do. Her aunt and cousin were there, and they agreed to take her in.

"You feeling alright, kid?" Asked the officer.

She just nodded in response.

"Look, I don't want to sound like a douche, but you really gotta give me some effort here." Said the officer. "It's right to grieve, but we just don't have to lose ourselves in the process."

She looked at him through the rearview mirror.

"I've always seen you in town, all happy and bright. Seeing that get taken away from you breaks everybody's heart, kid." He said. "I just hope you open up your heart to your aunt and cousin."

She gave him a weak smile. "I needed that."

"The what?" He asked her, surprised that she replied.

"The pep talk." She said as she looked out the window, the weak smile still on her face.

After what seemed like ages, they've finally arrived in Hawkins. The place was beautiful. A bit strange, but beautiful. It does feel quite homey.

The officer drove up to her aunt's house. He stopped the car and opened the door for her. He took her bags so she wouldn't have to carry the heavy things she brought.

"You ready, kid?" He asked her.

She nodded in response, but he already knew she was nervous.

"Hey, just remember. They accept you, and they'll be really good to you." He said, trying to cheer her up.

She wasn't exactly that nervous. She had known them since birth. They treated her like family too. She loves her cousin too, so getting close with them was never the problem. She was nervous that what happened to her family would happen to them.

He rang the doorbell, and a few minutes later, a woman opened the door.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Henderson." The officer greeted.

"Oh, good afternoon. Thank you for bringing her here." She smiled at the officer. "Y/N, darling, are you feeling alright?"

"A bit." She told her aunt.

"Oh, dearie, come hear." She said as she pulled Y/N in for a hug. "Dustin! Come greet your cousin. And take her bags inside."

She could hear the footsteps from inside. From the sound alone, she knew it was her cousin.

"Y/N, you're here." Dustin said as he hugged her too.