Chapter 10: Sweet Caroline

"Hey, Harrington. Sorry about the...you know." Eddie started the conversation as he sat down beside Steve.

"No hard feelings, man. You were just looking out for yourself." Steve said. "So, you and Y/N, huh?"

Eddie looked at him.

"Oh, come on. Don't give me that look. You were so obvious." Steve chuckled. "You practically threw yourself at her the moment you saw her."

Eddie had a small smile on his face. "That obvious, huh?"

"Yup." Steve said. "It wasn't that hard to figure out too, considering that you've been friends for so many years."

"Yeah, I've been a total shithead to her." Eddie said.

Steve looked at him with a confused look. "What are you talking about?"

"I didn't get to say goodbye to her. And I knew she needed me that time because moving was scary for her. Massachusetts was a new place for her, and I wasn't there to support her. I've been such a dick." Eddie said and drank from the bottle of beer.

"Why didn't you show up, then?"

"Because I was scared. Scared that if I see her, I'd say something stupid, and then she'll end up not talking to me-"

"But you did that on your own." Steve pointed out.

"Exactly. Now look who's living in regret." Eddie chuckled. "It's just...so difficult. You know? She's my friend. My best friend. If I tell her, do you really think everything would be okay between us?"

Steve didn't answer him. Ofcourse, that reason was true. Most friends end up breaking apart if one of them liked the other.

"Sometimes, I want to tell her. But, God. It's just so hard. Someone like me? With someone like her? I mean, I'm surprised she's even my friend." Eddie said, looking at Y/N who was chatting with Robin. "She's just...so goddamn beautiful."

Steve saw it. The look on Eddie's eyes. He saw just how much he loved her.

"I thought I'd get over her, you know? But we know how that ended up." Eddie laughed.

"You should tell her, man." Steve said.

"Yeah, why should I? So I can have my heart broken?" He asked.

"No. Because you have a chance." Steve said. "Have you seen the way she instantly ran to hug you? And you were still holding that bottle?"

Eddie quickly picked up what Steve was trying to tell him.

"I don't know man, I think you got a shot with her." Steve said.

"Hey, shouldn't we get going?" They both heard Robin's voice.

Steve patted Eddie on the back. "Talk to her."

Eddie thought about it and looked at Y/N. He will never fail to be in awe of her. She had something in her that just made him feel all sorts of things.

"You know, Robin's right. People might start suspecting us any time soon, especially you Dustin." Steve said.

"Alright, alright." Dustin said.

"I'll stay here." Y/N said.

Everyone, including Eddie, looked at her. "What?" They said in unison.

"Well, someone's gotta stay here with Eddie. And I know you guys will take good care of Dustin." She reasoned.

"Yeah, but Y/N," Eddie spoke. "This, whatever I'm doing, is dangerous."