Not So Different

I step out of the shower and dry myself off before putting on clean robes. I towel dry my hair and look in the foggy mirror. There are still some small cuts on my face from the rescue mission a couple of days ago. 

I sigh before stepping out of the bathroom, hanging the towel on a rack to dry. 

I pull on leather boots and put the silver ring on my finger

A knock pounds on the metal door. "Come in," I shout. The door slides open revealing Obi-Wan standing in the doorway. He steps through the doorframe.

I make a double-take as I notice an unfamiliar seriousness crossing his face. "Everything alright?" I asked, concerned. He nods and makes an effort to make his jaw unclench and his eyes soften but it only lasts a moment. 

It's been days since I've really talked to Obi-Wan. It seems every waking moment there's a new threat or a new council meeting. Of course, I don't have rank of Jedi, much less enough of a rank to have a seat on the council. I thought they would start to trust me more after saving the Chancellor but apparently secrets are still being kept.

Most of my time since I've gotten back has been spent with Padme. Apparently she and Anakin are expecting a baby. I told her if she needs any help sneaking off the planet to hide the bump I could help. I know it's dangerous for her to look weak in any way so the baby must be hidden. Especially since Anakin is the father which means he's going against the code. I understand his feeling in that instance, though. 

"Yeah, we can talk more about it on the ship," Obi-Wan continues. 

I furrow my eyebrows. "What ship?"

"They didn't tell you?" He questions. I shake my head. "Oh, the council is sending the two of us to Utapau. There's suspicion that General Grievous is there." 

My face falls a little. "Why are they sending us?" I know that Yoda is helping with the Wookies but all of the other masters are perfectly able to help. 

He shrugs. "They denied Anakin's help on this mission. The Chancellor had suggested it be him that lead it." So the relationship of the Chancellor and Anakin is still growing. "The council decided a master needed to go so they chose me. Master Windu chimed in saying you should go, as well." 

I was a little nervous to face grievous again. I knew Obi-Wan could handle it. But me? Maybe Grievous was right. I'll just slow him down. 

"Well, come on then," Obi-Wan says, nodding his way to the door. I snap out of the daze and grab my saber before joining him in walking down to the hanger bay. 

There was some kind of awkward silence between the two of us that I've never noticed before. There have been moments where we don't talk even though we're in each other presence but it's never this heavy

I'm blaming it on the thing that made him seem upset when he first walked in to talk to me. Maybe he doesn't want to go on this mission. Maybe he doesn't want to go on the mission because he doesn't want to bring me. Maybe he knows that I will slow him down. 

We walk down the hall and it opens up, light from the outdoors pouring in. 

"Master!" I hear a familiar voice call from down the hall. We both stop and turn around to see Anakin run down to meet us. 

"Mind leaving us for a moment, Lore?" Him calling me Lore wasn't helping. It's never sounded like a good nickname unless Windu was saying it. Now it sounds good when he says it too. 

I nod and turn on my heel, walking down the ramp to get on the large ship. Once we're close to the system, Obi-Wan and I will break off into two smaller ships, followed by a battalion of clones eventually.

"Miss. Likely," A protocol droid greets me once I am inside. "Please, follow me." I follow the silver droid to a small room with a single table and two benches, one on either side of it. "Is there anything I can get you to eat or drink?"

Before I can answer, Obi-Wan slides into the bench across from me. The talk with Anakin must of been needed since his demeanor seems to be returned to normal.

"I'll take a Black Ale," Obi-Wan says before looking at me to order.

"Oh, um I'll take a Bloodsour." The droid nods and turns around, clanking as it walks off to get the drinks. 

The awkward silence covers the room once again. I try thinking about what I would normally say in a normal situation but words seem to have escaped me. The silver protocol droid is the one to break the silence, serving us the drinks we ordered. 

It walks away and I take a sip of the beverage, deciding now would be a good time to talk. "So, what happened with Ani?" I didn't want to seem nosy but I was curious. 

"He's just frustrated with the council," He sighs. "I mean surely you've noticed the Chancellor's behavior is a little strange. We asked him to spy on Palpatine but he didn't take it well."

"They're too close," I bud in. I knew it wasn't really my place to deal with this situation but I've known since the strangeness in his behavior when we saved him.

"Yes!" Obi-Wan exclaims as if that's the point he's been trying to get everyone to understand. "Most of the council-men agree but Anakin doesn't. He thinks the council is keeping things from him."

My face falls, noticing that Anakin and I aren't really thinking that differently. "Well," I drag out the word. "I mean, they've kept things from me. I know I'm not technically even a Jedi but why would they send me on missions and stuff if they didn't trust me? It feels like they're using me more as a weapon than a human."

Obi-Wan stares at me, his eyes scanning over me. I suddenly get nervous, wanting to take back what I said. 

"Florence, I've told you almost everything I know about the Jedi's dealings-"

"But you haven't. You're just now telling me about the strife between the council and Anakin," My tone is harsher than I want it to be. "Shit, I'm sorry. It really-"

"No," It's his turn to cut me off. My face heats up. "You're right but only partially. Now I'm sure I've told you everything about the council. You do deserve to know. I can't imagine what it feels like to have left everything you built back in Corellia to return to Coruscant with a guy you didn't even truly like. For a guy you didn't truly like. You've proven your allegenge time and time again to the order and I'm sorry they're taking it for granted." He stops to think about what he wants to say next. I can see him going back and forth between thoughts. "I've told you everything." He was lying but I wasn't going to push.

What was I right about?

I see movement in the corner of my eye so I turn to look. A clone stands in the doorway. "Sir, Ma'am, it's almost time for you to depart."

Obi-Wan stands up, noticing the small disappointment on my face. He knew I knew he was lying and yet he still wasn't going to say it. 

I go to stand up too but before I can walk after the clone, I feel a hand grasp my arm, pulling me into them. Obi-Wan wraps his arms around me. I quickly melt into the hug, wrapping my arms around his waist. He places a hand on the back of my head.

"Let's go," He says as we pull out of the hug. I keep my head down, refusing to look at his blue eyes.