Be So Careful

So for once in his life, JJ was right. The coast guard was in fact too busy to take a report from the four teenagers. And they weren't about to wait in the longest line they'd ever seen for the chance to get some cash. John B took one look at Pope and swirled the key on his finger as he walked away.

They pulled up to the Motel from the water. After having extensive conversation about what could possibly be on the boat. Or what the person that owned it would do for a living.

Something was off.

"I thought the chateau was bad." JJ said after one glance around the place.

"What a dump."

"Motel or meth lab?"

"Why was somebody with a Grady-White staying here? It looks like the kinda place someone with that amount of cash would go to be killed." Pope said.

John B steered to a spot off the main path. JJ jumped up to the edge holding the anchor.

JJ whooped as he landed on solid ground. Piercing the soft soil with the anchor before escorting John B off as well. "Welcome to this shithole."

Pope was the first to speak up. "John B, don't let him do anything stupid." He pointed to JJ.

JJ got this exaggerated hurt expression and placed a hand over his heart. John B laughed. "I'm not making any promises." JJ's expression softened.

Kie pulled at John Bs shirt. "Hey. Be careful."

"I will."

"I mean it." She placed the key in his hand. John B just smiled at her.

JJ walked with John B over to the shady motel. He took the few moments alone to poke fun at what he'd just witnessed happen between John B and Kie.

"You should be so careful, John B." He said as he stroked John Bs face and made kissy faces at him.

"You're so weird." He pushed JJ back with a disgusted look.

"What was that about."

"I don't know, JJ. Maybe she just wants us to be careful. Did ya think of that?"

"Yeah well since she heard you were being threatened with exile, she's just been like," He placed his hands on John Bs shoulders rubbing into them as if giving him a massage, "Oh, be so careful, John B. Just gimme that John D already. Like when are you gonna swoop on that, man?"

"Bro, you know the rules. No Pogue-on-Pogue macking. Besides, you're the one who's always hitting on her."

"Of course I'm hitting on her. She's a super hot, rich, hippie kid from Figure Eight slumming around with us. I can't figure out why, but who cares, bro. I know that door's locked because I've tried it. Haven't you?"

"You need help, man. Like actual clinical help."

JJ whipped his head around giving him the side eye.

"Cause, it's like every girl who just has a heartbeat and looks in your general direction, you're like..." John B leaned back while walking and did a weird gesture with his arms while pursing his lips enough to look like he was sucking on something, "Hhhh."

"What? No no. It's not that big a deal." JJ rolled his eyes.

John B stopped walking and peered at the number on the key. And then to the one on the door. "Twenty-nine? That us?"

"Probably." JJ pulled up in front of John B. He gave him a weird look before knocking a few times. "Housekeeping." He pitched his voice up. Gaining another you're weird glance from John B.