Hero Complex

Tw: panic attack

" John B ?" JJ's voice quivered. Seething with anger. "Talk, now. What are you saying?"

But John B just stared into JJ's eyes. Horror and shock strewn across his lips as his eyes swam with the certainty that JJ definitely did not  want him to know anything about what he'd just witnessed.

"Um... uh..." John B tried to form the words to explain what just happened to him. Really he was trying to understand it himself. So the words never came to him.

"What do you mean, I was protecting my dad ?" JJ hung his mouth open. "Dude, don't freeze on me like Pope. You gotta gimme something here!" JJ raised his voice because there was absolutely no way in hell he was gonna let John B pull something like that after screaming for god damn near ten minutes straight. "Come on, bro."

"JJ." Kie warned.

A single breath snuck up on JJ as if he'd been crying hysterically just seconds before. Like he'd forgotten to breathe. It sent a sharp pain down his chest through his ribs. His face scrunched in a grimace.

"Yo, is he good? Ward didn't like, hit him with a shovel or anything?" Topper asked quietly after a good few seconds of silence. Fizzling out the awkwardness he could practically taste.

Kie narrowed her eyes for a second. "I don't think so."

John B held up his hand. Shaking slightly. He tried to speak once again but nothing would come out. His eyes danced with horror.

"Jesus Christ, shit ." JJ hissed as he realized what just happened. "Fuck, okay. John B, nod once for yes, twice for no." JJ tried to take John B's hands in his. Once again yielding the same result. "John B, listen to me. Can you take a seat?" JJ's voice was anything but calm. More demanding than anything.

" Oh shit ." Pope caught on.

John B didn't nod, didn't do anything. He just stood there with a frozen expression.

"Okay, okay. That's fine. Just try to take—" JJ continued only to be cut off by Pope.

"He's in shock, JJ. He probably can't even hear you. You gotta guide him. Make sure he's not holding his breath. It'll get worse if he's not breathing."

"I know— I know, Pope!" JJ bit his finger. " Christ . John B, please." He shook his head. Closing his eyes for a second, and then opening them again with a newfound flame glowing deep below the surface. JJ slowly reached out with his hands covered by his sweatshirt sleeve. "John B, you're alright. Ward isn't gonna get you here."

John B's eyes watched closely as JJ's hands came up to his head.

"Hey, hey. I'm not gonna touch you. It's okay." JJ quietly said. Lowering his arms. "You gotta breathe, buddy. Whatever just happened, you gotta pull through it." The demanding nature of his voice had died off. JJ had to let the anger go if he was gonna reach John B. "Come on, bro. You've helped me out with this before. Don't you remember?" He let out a loose chuckle.

John B blinked hard. Grabbing at the side of his head. Stumbling back and still not taking a breath. A sharp sound emitted from his chest.

" Don't do— Bree, it's okay."

John B looked away from JJ. His face grew a deep shade of red.

"Breathe... take it in. Like you showed me." JJ slowly took in an exaggerated breath. Holding it for a few seconds. "And release. You've been breathing most your life, bud. I know you can do it."

John B closed his eyes. Well, more like clamped them shut like he was trying to focus. His chest heaved as a fresh breath wracked against his whole body. Sending him to his knee from being light-headed.