The Lighthouse

At this point, John B was doing everything in his power to not go home. He had dragged the Pogues on another mission in the Twinkie.

"I think he meant the Redfield Lighthouse. His favourite place." He explained while they drove.

"Makes sense." Pope sighed. "However, I do think you're on the verge of falling off the deep end again, because if I remember correctly, not even ten minutes after those groupers left your house, we were on the road. I didn't get a say in what we should do after one of the most traumatizing things I've ever gone through."

"Did you wanna say something now, Pope?" John B turned in his seat for a second. Careful to not take his eye off the road for more than a few seconds.

"No it's just I think you're twisting theories in your head like before. I'd rather you not go down this path again."

"Pope-"

"Plus it says the Lighthouse is closed. I'm betting the operator isn't gonna be too keen on us sneaking in there."

"Just relax, bro. I'm not spiraling." John B smiled at him. "I'm not." That reaffirmation felt like bile rising in his stomach. Like he was denying it more for himself than any of them. It's not like he expected to find anything his dad left behind when he dove into Scooter's boat.

"I'm gonna hang back. If y'all can handle breaking and entering alone."

"No, problemo." John B parked the Twinkie out in view of the Lighthouse. Agatha had not been kind to it. No wonder it was closed.

"Wow. I knew it was old but- wow." JJ puffed out his cheeks as he spoke. He followed the gang outside.

"Right. JJ, we're gonna have you post up for bogeys, okay?" John B turned to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"What? Why?"

"There are independent and dependent variables. You're an independent variable, JJ. If it goes sideways, we don't know what you'll do." Pope explained.

JJ scowled and crossed his arms.

"If we get split up, let's meet at JJ's house." John B squeezed his shoulder. "Kie and I will look around, see if my dad left anything up there. Here's hoping this is what he meant."

Kie playfully rolled her eyes, shooting Pope and JJ a reassuring smile and two thumbs up. "You guys are gonna have so much fun alone." She said as she backed away toward the fence surrounding the lighthouse.

Pope and JJ both looked at Kie and then each other before almost instantly locking in an embrace. JJ turned his back towards the other two to make it look like he was sloppily making out with Pope from their angle.

John B whooped in surprise and slipped over the fence. "No Pogue-on-Pogue macking, JJ! Come on!" He laughed.

Pope pulled away and cleared his throat. "I'm gonna work on my merit scholarship essay."

"See you to it that you do, Pope." JJ winked at him before hopping back into the Twinkie.

"You've gotta admit, Kie. That shit was hella weird. As soon as he saw the compass," John B took a deep breath. "I can't believe it."

"John B, slow down. He was probably spooked from having almost no social interaction for the past decade. Living alone like that in the lighthouse could've messed with the wires in his head. It's not your fault." Kie slowed down to a stop as they found a bit of shrubbery to quickly hide in.

"First my dad and the Royal Merchant. This guy and the Royal Merchant. There's gotta be something there that we missed." John B began heading back toward the lighthouse. Kie came out in front of him with her hand against his chest to stop him.