His Honesty

Kie fussed over John B's newest addition to his bruise collection. Sighing about how " just because you have JJ's ring, doesn't make you invincible " while she applied some soothing cream to his face.

Sarah sat by JJ on the pullout that was currently in couch mode. She would've flicked through some channels on John B's dinosaur of a TV if the power had been back on. Instead she just watched as JJ slowly fell asleep with the dark circles under his eyes growing darker by the second.

Pope sat at the table with Kie and John B, trying to keep his hands from shaking. Replaying the moment he shoved Luke in his head over and over again.

He wanted to do it again.

JJ let out a long low groan before bringing his hand to his side. Grazing the tips of his fingers along his ribs under his shirt.

"JJ," Sarah spoke with care. Worried her words might be too sharp for his ears. "Are you okay?"

He swallowed hard. Blinking a few times, laying his head back against the couch. "What do you think?"

"I think, uh," She puffed her cheeks. Sighing. "I think it's a shame we can't watch something. I was really looking forward to catching up on The Second Date tonight. See if Asher was gonna seal the deal with Christian or Samantha."

"Woah woah woah. There's a new guy on Second Date ? What happened to Joey? His mom find out he was macking on an accountant?" JJ opened one eye and stared at her for a second.

Sarah smiled. Her irises danced with sparkles. "You watch The Second Date ? The JJ Maybank watches rom-com television?"

"Why are you so surprised? That's not that weird."

"Joey left the show like almost a month ago. What was the last episode you saw?"

"Uh... the accountant was getting angry about Joey not confessing his feelings. And then the doctor guy told Joey to basically fuck off." JJ sat up, running his hand through his sweaty hair. "I personally think the doctor guy had a lot of agency and Joey's personality wouldn't have been able to survive a hardcore relationship with him. Though the accountant wasn't exactly my go-to for him. Joey should've stayed with Tammy from the second episode."

"Oh my god."

"What?"

"I seriously never would've pegged you for a Tammy guy. She told him about her doll collection within the first ten minutes of their first date." Sarah laughed.

"Yeah! But at least she wasn't going on and on about the theories of human consciousness like the other doctor lady. That shit was boring as hell and you could tell Joey wasn't into it. At least he could relate somewhat to the dolls because of his mom."

"Taleisha was so pretty though! Did you see her fucking curves? And she was so smart. Joey was so stupid to take her out on her first date before even telling her about himself."

"It never wouldda worked. Joey was too big of a shitbag to be the right guy for her. She clearly already figured out who she was and what she wanted. He needed someone to grow with."

Sarah chuckled loudly.

"You're so wise for someone with half a brain cell."

JJ scoffed and threw his hat at her.

"I have my moments." He grinned.

Pope clambered over to the couch, placing himself in the spot between Sarah and JJ.

"Hey, Pope." Sarah whispered.

"Why didn't you tell me you were blacking out again, JJ?" Pope asked in a direct hushed tone.

JJ scrunched his eyes and turned away. Digging the sides of his fists against his eyes. "It was one time."

"You don't get to do that. JJ, it's not just the fact that you blacked out. You blacked out and told John B but not me. Not Kie. And John B kept it to himself."

"We had bigger fish to fry."

"JJ, you thought you killed your dad. Bigger fish to fry ? What's bigger than showing up in potentially your own father's blood?"

JJ took a sharp breath and stood up from the couch. Heading into the kitchen, accidentally bumping into Kie. He mumbled an apology before grabbing a glass of water.

He turned back to face them. Sipping from his cup and rubbing at the heaviness from his eyes.

John B let out a hiss as Kie dabbed his cheek. "It's not gonna bruise that badly, Kie. Stop poking at it. Jesus."

"Quit being a baby." She glanced at JJ. Motioning with her head to go back to the couch. To Pope. He scoffed and dug his face into his cup of tap water. "He's just trying to help, JJ." She whispered.

Pope stood up with a long sigh. "JJ, I know you don't like talking about it. But please for once, can you just tell me what happened?"

"Pope, it's really not important. I'm all good. Swear."

"Not important...JJ, please. Don't shut us out. Don't shut me out." Pope was raising his voice. On the verge of cracking.

"I-I'm not... I'm not shutting you guys out. It just wasn't as important as-as-as uh, shit that was before Midsummers wasn't—"

" Before Midsummers?!" Pope marched in front of him. "Almost a week, JJ? Really?"

"What do you want from me, Pope? I can only keep track of so many things at one time, man. We've got literally so much shit going on right now. I'm honestly surprised you're pissed at me for this when we should really be worried about like I don't know, nabbing this gold."

Kie and John B evacuated the kitchen.

"How is that more important than making sure you're not losing your fucking mind again?"

"I swear, bro, as soon as John B's head is clear, I'm gonna wear the ring again full time. I promise. I'm not losing my mind. It was one blackout."

"That's how it started, JJ! Do you even remember?"

"Not really." JJ stared at him. Placing his glass on the counter.

Pope gritted his teeth, pursed his lips, and clenched his fists. "You might not, but I do. Please don't keep this shit from us, man."

JJ rolled his eyes. "I'm not gonna lose my mind again, Pope. Don't worry." He pushed past Pope, digging his fingers into his chest.

Pope stopped him. Grabbing the hand that was against his chest. Not harshly like how he sounded. His touch was soft like he was handling a newborn kitten. Pope met JJ's eyes. "We almost lost you last time. I don't wanna lose you cause you're too stubborn to let me in."

In that moment, JJ's eyes watered. Irises dancing with seafoam. His breath hitched in his throat for a second. Pope watched his eyes swim with everything he wanted to say. That was the thing about JJ. Even though he never talked about anything, well, anything important, his eyes snitched on him. Constantly.

Pope hated that he had to learn about JJ's honesty like that. Because half the time JJ was looking elsewhere.

"I got it. I'm sorry." JJ swallowed. Before pulling away from Pope.