Chapter 4

Due to the intense training regiment my father had created for me, I found it pretty hard to find time to go out past the berry fields to see how Aloy is doing. Even when I thought I woke up earlier than training, my dad would be sitting in the house waiting for me. So I couldn't even sneak out to see her. I think my dad might have figured out what I was doing, but I didn't want to say anything if he didn't.

Years had passed and I was starting to get better and better by the day. I had mastered using a bow and spear. My dad had taken me out onto the hunting grounds to see how well I was progressing. And from his satisfied look, I was progressing to his liking. And before I knew it, it had been almost twelve years since training had began. The morning of The Proving, my dad was sitting on the porch waiting for me.

"Hey, dad," I said.

"Good morning," he said and stood up. "Your mother and I have a gift for you."

"A gift?"

"Something to congratulate you on your hard training and a good luck for your future endeavors."

He walked inside and came out with a small box and a large one.

"Open the large one first."

I opened it up and it was a cloak that was made from the hides of boars. It reminded me of Rost's boar that sat on his shoulder. The boar head was similar here. I picked it up and draped it over my shoulders, clasping the metal chain together so it would stay on my shoulders. The head rested on my left shoulder. 

"Now for the small one."

I opened up the box to see it was a metal tooth from a Thunderjaw, but it was attached to some thread.

"I had taken it the day you faced the Thunderjaw. It was a momentous occasion for you then. And I hope it will bring you luck."

I picked it up and placed it around my neck. It came down to a little bit past my neck but didn't quite reach my chest area.

"Thanks, dad," I said and hugged him.

"Now, go. You must be excited."

"I am."

"Prove your worth, Y/N."

I grabbed my bow and spear, placing the bow around me and holding onto my spear. I walked off the porch and towards where I needed to go. There were quite a number of young Nora heading to The Proving. One of them was Bast. I remember when Bast had injuried Aloy. He was still the same as ever. He was boasting about how he was going to win The Proving since he was the best the Nora tribe has to offer.

"Maybe your parents should have named you boast with how much you do it," I said to him as I was walking behind him.

He turned around and looked at me, "Look who it is. The girl who hangs out with the outcast. Maybe you were meant to be an outcast, too."

"Anything to get away from you," I said and walked past him.

I walked into the main part of the tribe and looked for the lodging that I needed to go in to. I found it by watching Bast saunter his way in. As I was walking towards it, I noticed someone else was coming. They had long flame like hair that was braided. There were some beads in her hair as well. I recognized that color hair anywhere and she stuck out like a sore thumb amongst the Nora that had dark colored hair. She was talking back and forth with the guy guarding it. I take it he insulted her because I heard her witty remark to him.

"With you standing guard, I thought this was the latrine," she opened the door and promptly slammed it in front of him.

I chuckled. She has definitely grown up since the last time I had seen her. She definitely had grown a lot more pretty. I could feel my heart race as I wanted to speak with her once more. I walked towards the lodging and opened it up. Her and Bast were at it, but when he saw me, he smirked.

"It's your 'outcast' friend."

Aloy turned towards me and that familiar smile appeared on her face. She walked over to me and I walked towards her.

"Aloy," I said.

"Y/N," she greeted me.

"It's been so long."

"It certainly has been."

"I'm sorry I wasn't able to come see you as often as I wanted to. I was so busy with training."

"I-It's quite alright, really," she smiled once more. "I was busy myself as well. Rost wanted me to train everyday from sunrise to sunset."

"That's how my dad was as well. I was hoping we could catch up."

Aloy turned to see Bast was talking behind our backs, probably about us.

"Here is probably not the best time to catch up. Especially not with that arrogant asshole here."

I nodded my head in agreement, "I agree. He definitely did not grow out of that."

"Is it me or did he grow up to not look so," we both looked at Bast.

"Hot?" I asked, finishing her sentence.

"That's it."

"Yeah, I think he's a hot mess. Definitely not attractive. I don't know who would be attracted to that."

"Definitely not me," Aloy chuckled.

We got settled in for the night. I was in a bunk beside Aloy and we were trying to talk about what had went on during training, but we were constantly interrupted by Bast and his remarks. Aloy even reached over for her bow and aimed an arrow at him.

"Say one more thing and I'll shoot."

"You wouldn't shoot me."

She pulled back, looking like she was going to release, "Try me."

"Go ahead, outcast."

Aloy released the arrow, but it lodged into the wall beside Bast's head. He didn't even flinch.

"I knew you wouldn't hurt me."

"Why hurt you now when I can tomorrow?"

We both chuckled, which caused Bast to grow angry.

"You're lucky that it didn't hit me."

"I actually wasn't aiming for you, because I never miss."

"I'd like to see you try."

"Alright," Aloy said and stood up. "Y/N, want to help me?"

"Sure."

Aloy grabbed a nearby apple and tossed it to me.

"Go to the other end of the lodge."

I walked over to the edge, waiting further instruction.

"Stand against the wall and place the apple on your head. But before you do that, blindfold yourself."

I nodded and did as she had requested.

"You're going to blindly trust her?" Vala asked, another Nora competing in The Proving.

"I've seen her skills before when she was younger. If she was great then, she's even better than before."

Aloy walked to the other side of the lodge and drew back her bow.

"Steady now, Y/N."

"I trust you, Aloy," I said, listening to her pulling back her bow, waiting to release the arrow.