Chapter 73

"Alright, without giving your mom a heart attack," Aloy said. "What were you doing out there in the middle of the night?"

"I was trying to get in more practice. To become stronger," Lis said.

I chuckled, "Lis, all of that comes within time."

"I don't want it to come within time. I want to be stronger now!"

"I know you do, Lis, but look at your mother for example. It took her almost twelve years to be where she is now. Add on another two or so."

"Here," Aloy tapped her Focus and showed Lis the trials and tribulations she had to go through to get to where she is. 

"I had to endure a lot of training to get to where I am today, Lis. The same could be said about your mom. She went through intense training as well. As for your Aunt," Aloy looked up at Beta. "I had to help your aunt to get to where she is today. You see, Lis. Just because you're not strong yet, doesn't mean you never will be. It just takes time. Just like your mom has said, it takes time. You'll learn to be better when fighting machines. You'll learn where to hit the weak spots on the machines. But there will be times where you miss. There will be days where you want to give up and you want to throw in the towel. If you push through, like how we all did, you will become stronger and you will gain the experience we have."

Lis nodded, seeming to be more determined now, "I will work harder."

"Not only harder, but smarter."

"Aloy, are you there?"

"What's the matter, Zo?"

"We are having trouble with the machines again."

Aloy sighed and shook her head, "I'm on it."

"We should all go," I said.

"You're still healing."

"They're just burns and scratches. I'll be fine. Nothing I can't handle."

"Alright. Lis, you're going to come along."

"Yes!"

"But, you're just here to observe. You're going to be in Plainsong with Var. Where it's safe."

She had a look of defeat on her face.

"Hey, Lis," Aloy reached down and made her look at her.

"You'll get there, I promise."

"Why can't I help out?"

"You can help by ensuring people are safe within Plainsong. Let us deal with the machines. They're not like the Lancehorns you see in the training grounds or the Scroungers. They're stronger, tougher machines. Machines you're unable to handle right now."

She nodded her head. I stood up and went inside to get my armor, bow, and spear. Beta grabbed hers and handed Aloy's to her. Beta got on her Clawstrider and ran off.

"I'll meet you guys there. See if I can lift the weight off of their shoulders," Beta said as she walked past us.

"See you there, Beta. Alright, Lis, who do you want to ride with?" Aloy asked.

"I want to ride with you, mommy."

"Alright. We're going to be going on the Sunwing. I'll see you there, Y/N," she said and pecked my lips real quick.

"See you there," I said and got onto my Charger.

"Hang on tight while you're in the air," I said to Lis before getting on and riding off towards Plainsong.

While I was riding, I took out some machines on my way there. They were heading in that direction anyway so I ensured that they wouldn't get there. When I reached Plainsong, Zo and the other Utaru were fighting the machines. Beta was helping a group on the other side.

"Where needs the most help?" I asked Zo as I rode up to her.

"The north are losing people fast. They need the most help. Once Aloy gets here, we'll send her to the South. They're holding out right now, but they're slowly diminishing."

"Alright. Thanks, Zo."

I rode towards the North and jumped off, shooting down a machine in the process. They thanked for the aid and I helped with them taking down machines. 

"I'm in the south, Y/N," Aloy said about a few moments later.

"Is Lis with Var?"

"Yes. I made sure that one of the Utaru is watching after them. You know how Lis can be when it comes to us fighting and she's not with us."

"Yeah. Do you think we should have let her help? I mean, if we don't let her one of these days, she might run onto the battlefield without us knowing."

"You mean right now?"

"What?!"

"She's heading towards the North. She heard Zo say that the north was having issues."

"I'll take care of her."

"Take care of the machines until she gets there. There shouldn't be machines on her way there."

"You never know," I said and got on my Charger, heading towards her direction.

When I saw her, she looked up to see me. But she didn't see that there was a Clawstrider heading towards her way. I whipped the reins harder and she stood there in fear. I reached down and grabbed her before the Clawstrider got her. I grabbed one of my spike throwers and threw it at the Clawstrider, it exploding a few seconds later.

"Lis, we told you to stay with Var."

"I wanted to help."

"You'll be safe there," I said.

"Why can't I help, mom?"

I stopped the Charger and looked down at her, "You almot got attacked by a Clawstrider."

"But you were there to save me."

"That's not the point, Lis! You need to be in a safe place."

I took a deep breath, not wanting to tell her, "You're not ready yet. You're not ready for the battlefield like this."

"But I think I am."

"That's what you think, but I don't think you're ready."

"Can't I prove I am ready?"

"Not until we both think you're ready. And you're not ready."

I held her close to my body as I grabbed the reins of the Charger and rode back towards the Utaru tribe. I knew I hurt her feelings since she wants to be out here with us. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something flash. I couldn't tell what it was. I looked behind me to see what it was, but there was nothing.

"Mom!" Lis yelled and grabbed the reins, moving the Charger to the right.

I turned and saw a Stalker jumping at me. It landed on me and I fell off the Charger.

"Mom!"