Chapter 15

"We're way past Meridian now," Varl said.

"I know we are. She has to be out here somewhere," I said as we kept following her tracks.

Varl was a bit confused on how I could see where she was going. I just told him it was complicated and kept moving on without answering too many of his questions. I figured Aloy should be the one to answer his questions, especially about the Focus since she knew that more than I did. 

"Did something happen that I don't really know about, Y/N?"

"I feel that Aloy should answer those questions. Any questions you have involving her need to be addressed with her."

"Understood."

"Besides, I don't think I could explain it as well as she could. You know how she is, very upfront and doesn't stray away from the truth."

"How have you two been out here since you left the tribe?"

"What do you mean?"

"You two were pretty good friends when you left."

"Are you suggesting that I might like Aloy?"

"Your dad may have mentioned it to the entire tribe when he was drinking for a week straight after you left with her."

I let out a sigh, "What did he say?"

"He said something along the lines of him not believing you went with Aloy and that you might like her. And he even said that you were a disgrace to the tribe and he would be fine if he never saw you again."

I just nodded my head, "That sounds like my dad."

"I'm sorry that you had to hear it from me and not from your dad."

"If I heard it from my dad, I would have either slapped him or punched him. I'm glad I didn't, because I don't want to hurt you, Varl."

"Thank you for not punching my face in."

"I see you grew out some facial hair."

"Yeah, I think I might cut it eventually."

"You look good with both a clean shave and a beard."

"May I ask you a question?"

"Yeah, what's up?"

"Do you like Aloy, as in like her more than a friend."

"I had some doubts here and there, but after spending a lot of time with her and just her, I think my feelings are pretty clear."

"Have you told her yet?"

"No, when I brought it up to her a couple times, she said we are both not in a great position to be seeing someone. I just hope when things die down a bit and we get more than six months to relax, we could possibly start something. I would certainly like to try."

"You seem to have strong feelings about her."

"I do. Ever since we were younger and I wanted to be friends with her, I knew something was special about her. I knew she was special, but when I finally got to catch up with her before The Proving, I knew I had feelings for her. I thought it was just admiration for her when we were younger, but it turns out, it's much more than that."

"Well, you both deserve to be happy."

"You deserve to be happy, too, Varl."

"We all do in a way."

"I just wish I could have reconciled with my dad a bit more while I was there for a short period of time."

"Maybe when we get a chance, we can all go back and reconcile with who we need to."

"Yeah, that would be something I would look forward to."

We were closing in on where her tracks were. We were such a far ways away from Meridian that I was worried we wouldn't be able to find our way back. But if we found Aloy, we could go back with her. No sense of sending us back when we found her all the way out here. I stopped my Charger and jumped off its back, carefully walking towards this satellite dish.

"What are you doing?" Varl asked as he jumped off his Charger.

I moved past a bush to see Aloy was standing on the edge of a cliff, looking out to see what was in front of her. I walked out of the bush and upon hearing the rattling of the leaves, she grabbed her bow and loaded it with an arrow, pointing it at me.

"Pretend there's an apple on my head and shoot it there," I chuckled.

"You scared the shit out of me," she chuckled, putting down her bow.

"What are you doing all the way out here?" I asked.

"I'm looking for a backup of GAIA."

"The AI that controls the terraforming system."

"Yes."

"Why's that?"

"There's something going on with the Earth. There's a mysterious blight and the weather is out of control. I was hoping when we find GAIA, it can help get rid of the blight and do something about the weather."

"I hope so," I said.

"How did you find me out here?"

"Focus," I said and pointed to it.

"I should have known."

Varl walked out from where we were and waved to Aloy.

"Varl, you brought Varl along?"

"I thought he might help look for you."

"She's very persuasive," he chuckled.

"She is indeed, since I spent a long time with her in Meridian."

"So, what are we going to do all the way out here?"

"There's a data center that could possibly have a backup of what I'm looking for."

"And what is this that you're looking for?"

"A backup of an AI program that was made by the Old Ones."

"Consider us in, Aloy."

"What?"

"Yes, consider us part of the journey. You've always been a lone wolf, it's time you get a pack."

"I go alone because I don't want you guys getting hurt because of me."

"Aloy, we're going to help you in any way we can. And I am not getting back on that Charger after riding all the way here. My ass hurts," I said. "Does yours hurt, Varl?"

"Slightly."

"Alright, alright, you guys can come along. But if you're coming with me," she reached into a pouch and handed Varl a Focus. "You need one of these."

"Thanks," he said and put it on his head, immediately seeing the unseen. "Is this what you've been seeing all this time?"

"Ever since I was a little girl," Aloy said and turned to where the data center was. "Let's get going," she said and jumped from the edge.

"She's always on the move," Varl said as he looked over the edge to see her already exploring.

"That's Aloy," I said and jumped down after her.