Chapter 41

"You're still bleeding," I said and grabbed a nearby rag. I held it up to her neck and pressed against it, trying to stop the bleeding.

"Thanks," she said.

"Did it hurt?"

"Not really. It just felt like a nick to be honest."

"It's nothing compared to what you have felt out there in battle."

She chuckled, "Yeah. Especially fighting against Tilda."

My mother knocked on the door before opening it, "Dinner should be ready in a few minutes."

"Thanks, mom," I said.

My mom nodded her head and closed the door.

"She's very different from your dad," Aloy said.

"My dad always believed of the old ways. That the women should do the gathering while the men do the hunting. When my dad heard I wanted to be part of The Proving, he looked down on it. He wanted me to be a gatherer like my mom and work in the fields. It was a nice solem life, for someone who doesn't know what's out there. After adventuring out there with you, I don't think I would want to be anything other than what I am now."

"And what would you consider yourself now?" Aloy asked.

"For starters, your partner. After that, a Nora who left her tribe by choice. I wanted to get out there and see what the world once was and what it had to offer. I couldn't have done it with anyone else. I definitely wouldn't be alive if it weren't for you and the others looking after me."

She chuckled, "They really are something, aren't they?" 

"They are. I wonder how they're doing out there."

"I'm sure they're all holding their own. I'm sure they want to rest as well, but there's only a short period of time we can rest."

I pulled the rag away to see that the bleeding has stopped. I set it down and stood up, helping her stand up. We walked out of my room and there were three bowls at the table filled with rabbit stew. We sat down and for most of the night my mother asked us questions on what we had experienced. I told her the different part from Aloy's story, since I was taken by the Shadow Carja when Aloy was figuring out who she was and finding a way to save Meridian. Once we finished what had happened, my mother looked astonished from what we had experienced.

"You actually flew?" my mother asked.

"Yes. On a machine," I said. "Aloy has this override that makes the machine from foe to friend. But it's only for a short while aside from the Sunwings, Chargers, Bristlebacks, and Clawstriders."

"Clawstriders? What are Clawstriders?"

Aloy tapped her Focus and an image of the Clawstrider came up. My mother had a grin from ear to ear.

"I want to ride one of those before I die," she said. "But I probably won't be able to make it out to the West anytime soon."

"Why's that?" I asked.

"Unlike you and Aloy, you had a purpose to leave. I do not. So I will stay here within the tribe."

"But you want to explore the world?" Aloy asked.

"I do. I certainly do want to explore the world. It just wasn't meant to be."

"I think we can arrange something," Aloy said. "If word has reached this far about what we have accomplished, the Matriarchs have to listen to our reasoning."

"I thank you, Aloy, but I am just meant to grow old here and pick berries for the rest of my life."

"But that's not a life you want," I said.

"It's not. I do want to see what the world has to offer. But another thing I fear is that your father will come back here and take back the house."

"Then we don't have to come back here, mom," I said. "This place didn't really seem like home after I returned to get Varl. And if dad never wants to see me again, then we will never see him again. He can take the house. Besides, we have the coolest home you will ever see."

"Really?"

I nodded and tapped my Focus, pulling up an image of the base. She marveled at the hologram. She reached out, her hand going through it.

"I want to go there. Y/N, do you think it's possible?"

"I believe it's possible," I looked over at Aloy. "We believe it's possible."

"Then let me come with you."

"Are you sure you're up for the long trip out there?" Aloy asked. "We really didn't bring another Sunwing and we'd have to override a Charger or Strider out here."

"Oh that's fine with me," my mother said. "I figured you two came together on one machine."

"What does that supposed to mean?" I chuckled.

"I saw how you were when you spoke of Aloy when you were younger. There was such a glow in your eyes and you grew excited when you saw her."

"How do you know?"

"I'm your mother, Y/N. Don't you think I knew you left early in the morning and went past the berry fields?"

Aloy chuckled while my cheeks flushed a light pink.

"The minute you spoke of her name, I knew she was someone special to you. I just didn't see this coming, but nonetheless, I support you, Y/N. You're my daughter afterall. And Aloy, you're family from this moment forward.

"Thank you," Aloy said.

"I suppose you have a busy day tomorrow. Please, do what you need to get ready for bed."

"Why don't you head to bed, mom. Aloy and I can take care of the bowls."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah," I said.

"Alright. Don't get any funny ideas," my mom said and got up, walking towards her room. "Goodnight, both of you."

"Goodnight, mom."

"Goodnight," Aloy said to my mother. 

When the door closed, Aloy and I stood up and I walked over to the small water pump we had outside. Aloy walked over and started to pump the water and I rinsed the bowl with a rag and some soap. I set them on the table to dry and we headed into my room once we were finished.

"Are you going to be ok flying by yourself tomorrow once we get the word out?" I asked.

"I should be alright. I'll miss the pleasent conversations you bring and your warmth when we pass over the mountains."

"At least you'll fly over them quickly. My mom and I need to go through them," I chuckled. 

"Good thing you have a boar skin cloak to keep you warm."

"I'd rather you keep me warm."

"I can do that right now," she smirked.

"Come on, let's get to bed."