His Tragic Story Part 32

Since then, it's been two weeks. And the cycle still continues. I get ready in the morning, go to work, come home, eat, then sleep. Because I don't have anything exciting going on in my life, I don't go out much. On the weekends, though, I make an effort to get out more. I usually just stop by Mom's café to help the other employees. I don't have anything else to do on weekends, so I just pitch in.

It's very lonely without Mom. She said she'd return soon, but it's been such a long time. I've been depressed about it. I write her letters and send her gifts, but it isn't enough. I need to see her in person. Seeing her in person would make me feel a lot better. I try not to worry about it, but it's really affecting me.

I've started getting more nightmares lately. I keep thinking it's a sign, but I can't recall the dreams half of the time. So I assumed it was nothing.

------------------------

I was in the middle of work when I received a call from Dr. Tan. I haven't heard from him in quite some time. It had been a few weeks since the last time. So I was surprised when he called me now.

"Hm? Doctor Tan?" I thought before answering the phone.

"Doctor Tan?"

He remained silent for a while. "...I am very sorry, but your mother has passed. Throughout these months, she has been battling cancer. This morning, we found her unresponsive." He said.

As my phone slipped to the floor, my hands trembled.

I didn't know how to feel. My eyes welled up with tears, which spilled out onto the floor. Horrified, I didn't believe him. It's not true, so why do I feel like this?

A chilly wave of shock washed over me, paralyzing me. Everything in me just stopped. "M-mom...? Dead...?" Those agonizing words were the only words that could leave my mouth at this moment.

"She's not... she's not.... dead..." I murmured. My spine tingled with a shiver. Something isn't right. Th-there has to be.

I raced out of my office. In the packed hall, I shoved everyone out of my way. As they turned to watch me run, I wept.

I drove immediately to the hospital after getting in my car.

I could only tell myself one thing as I drove to the hospital. "She's not dead..."

Without even checking in, I dashed to Mom's hospital room. As I hurried through the halls, several individuals attempted to stop me. I ran into the nearest elevator and quickly pressed the floor where Mom's room was.

I immediately ran to her room when I got on that floor. As I came closer to her room, cold shivers flowed down my body. "Please..."

I slid the door open. But when I looked, there was nothing there. Only that white hospital bed. "I-It's true..." I mumbled as I reeled back. She's dead. It's already too late.

As I sat on the cold floor, my eyes enlarged, allowing more tears to flow. "I'm late... T-too late..." I cried into the palms of my hands. "Sh-she's g-gone... gone..."

I slowly rose up after a minute of sobbing. I left the hospital and returned to my car.

I sat in my car, trembling, unsure of what was happening. I was in disbelief. I... was confused.

"Why... didn't she tell me?" After murmuring this, I could feel my eyes getting heavy.

I eventually passed out.

My entire body was drenched in sweat when I awoke. Those horrible images of the nightmare I just had wouldn't stop replaying in my head.

My eyes and head throbbed as those images continued to play in my thoughts, and my body refused to stop sweating.

Everything was starting to drive me crazy. I could hardly breathe in this confined car. Remembering what happened to Mom instantly brought me into tears. "It's all my fault..." I sobbed and slammed my hands against my closed eyes.

I managed to drive myself back home after a few hours of crying in the hot car. It took a long time for me to return home.

After stepping inside our house, it didn't feel like home. Now that Mom was gone, everything was different... this home... It just felt like I was entering an unfamiliar place.

When I stepped inside, the memories we had enjoyed in this lovely home had faded and been entirely annihilated. Every single memory I had of us came crashing down and hit me like a ton of bricks.

Whenever I came home from work, she'd jump up from the sofa and greet me with a wholesome welcome.

She was the only one I had...

but now she's gone...